Hooking my Macbook to my HDTV, need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacDaddy08, Mar 21, 2009.

1. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

So I want to hook my Macbook up to my LCD TV from time to time. I bought a mini DVI to HDMI adapter and I was going to hook an HDMI cable straight to my TV but then I realized that there is no audio feed coming from the mini-DVI port on my Macbook so I would have to run a seperate audio cable to my stereo in order to have sound on my stereo speakers as well correct?

What is the easiest way to do this? Originally I was thinking HDMI was the way to go because I don't have to use a separate cable for audio but then I realized I am going to need one anyway. Is the best way just to run HDMI to the TV and a separate audio cable like a headphone cable into my stereo or are there any better solutions for this? I want to be able to play movies so I will need sound out of my stereo.

Thanks in advance.

2. smadder macrumors member

My two solutions

I faced the same dilemma and came up with this:

When I had a stereo with digital inputs:

- I bought an optical digital audio cable that came with the headphone jack adapters. Macbooks' (all models) audio jacks have dual function audio: digital and analog. So plugging the headphone adapter onto one end of the cable and the S/PDIF optical end into my stereo gave me digital audio and the DVI-to-HDMI cable gave me digital video.

When I just had a TV:

- bought an analog headphone to L/R RCA jack audio cable and ran it into the audio in RCA jacks on the back of the TV and ran the DVI-to-HDMI cable as described above.

Both are pretty inexpensive solutions.

Hope this helps!