Hooking my mbp to 3 cpu monitors..possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illest813, Feb 25, 2008.

1. illest813 macrumors member

Hey guys,

Forget the reasoning for doing this, but is it possible to run a setup where I can hook up my mbp to 3 lcd monitors? the idea is to have 3 20" or so computer monitors on my desk, and when I bring my laptop home , simply plug in a a vga cord and it will display my OS across 3 screens so i can have, for example, itunes on the left monitor, ms word on middle, and safari on the right...one of my friends used to have 2 monitors that did this, so I was wondering this could work..

obv I would need a splitter of some sort, but would that be it? i'd have all 3 seperate computer monitor power cords, a splitter behind them with 1 cord to my laptop?

Also, my friend used to do this with his laptop closed, however whenever I hook up my computer to a tv for example if you close it then it shuts down, is it possible to make it work like this? And lets say I started my computer in windows and played a game for example, this would only run on 1 monitor or would it display off 3?

Sorry for the lengthy post but I was just very curious to how I could set this up, and how it would work under various applications. Any input would be appreciated, thanks guys :apple:

2. ///alpinepower macrumors member

i can see why you'd ask us to forget the reasoning

3. illest813 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, yea thats some pretty crazy stuff. Is there any other adapter thats cheaper? Would it be be smart to wait until they have hdmi-capability?

Also as a side note if anyone is reading this-my internet crashed the other day, and after resetting the router my internet has been up and running and my roomates all connect fine (windows/mac both), and when I boot in windows I connect fine, but when I am in Leopard and connect, it says I am connected however safari never loads a page, it just has a white screen and the airport keeps re scanning..any ideas?

4. illest813 thread starter macrumors member

Will the MBP GPU Be able to support 3 monitors at high resolution?

5. LVdustin macrumors regular

Yep, our video editing suite has a macbook pro attached via DVI to three monitors, but I don't know exactly how they bridge them...

6. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

wow this has come along way. i got my mbp 5 months ago and the most i could find is 3 displays with the laptop and it was 2k.

might have to have an early christmass:rolleyes:

7. illest813 thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys,

Sorry to be off topic, but looks like my dreams are going to be cut short. I had my MBP in my bag and the handle snapped and the bag took a nice 2 foot fall on the ground, and my MBP is broken. I brought it into repair today and they said the logic board/hard drive is broken. So, now I got to use my money i wanted to do this setup and get a new mbp..

does anyone know if there is an aftermarket for the spare parts that are still functional? i know there has to be some salvage value to this, and i cant post in the marketplace (<100 posts). i just dont know exactly how to approach this.....terrible luck :(

8. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ouch.
    sorry to here as i am buying another screen :D (old one is crapping) for only dual display with my mbp and was very jealous of having 3 or even 4.

imagine having 4 displays.
    imagine 4 50 in displays.
    oo just wet myself.

so much real-estate. with spaces too.
    o my begezzes

9. skiffx macrumors 6502a

EBAY + Craigslist

10. skiffx macrumors 6502a

dont wet your pants just yet, I have a 52" wide lcd samsung (as a tv), its huge in regular sized rooms, there is no way you'd fit 4 of those suckers anywhere :)

11. pionata macrumors 6502

Im wondering the same thing, I have a 23" ACD but I would like to plug my upcoming MBP to my 32" tv also at the same time.

Does the matrox support independent resolutions on all monitors?

12. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

hey i was wondering the same thing today "MBP to my 32" tv"
    well kinda
    how come a 19in widescreen monitor is close to 200
    and same size tv is almost 1 1/2 times that? it was even close to 2X