hooking my probook to my plasma display?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by neverownedapc, Jun 20, 2008.

1. neverownedapc macrumors member

neverownedapc

i haven't got my probook in the mail yet, but i was wondering if anyone has hooked theirs up to a large plasma display? when shopping for my plasma tv years back, i opted for a monitor instead of your typical tv because it came with a vga input. anyone know how this will look due to the 42" size?

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

It should look fine, although I'm not sure what the maximum resolution the MacBook Pro can output is.

3. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

guess i'll just try it for shiz and giggles when i have the chance and see what happens. i'm sure it won't look as good as i want and i'll have to break down and actually buy a monitor or two.

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

It all depends on the resolution and pixel pitch. I hooked mine up to a 50" TV with a maximum 1024x768 resolution and it looked atrocious, the pixels are huge. Videos and games should look fine, most text-based stuff is terrible unless you sit a dozen feet or so from the screen, but then the text is too small. A full 1080p HDTV with 1920x1080 resolution might be passable at that size.

5. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma 720p, got a mini-dvi- to vga adaptor for my MB and I have to say, it looks stunning!! Far sharper than any HD TV channel i recieve.

Im running at 1024x768 which is my plasma's native resolution as a second screen so i can continue to use my MB and watch a film.

6. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

did anyone see the word "display"? don't take that the wrong way, but it's not a regular plasma. i have my xbox360 hooked up via the vga as we speak and i can set the xbox preferences way over 1080 and it has an extremely good picture.

7. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I've hooked my MacBook up to my Sharp Aquos and it looks fine, with full resolution.

8. Eric. macrumors regular

2560x1650 (or whatever the 30" ACD is) is the max resolution of a dual-link DVI connector.

Your display is either 1280x720, 1280x768, 1366x768, or 1920x1080 by the way. You may be able to send 1920x1080 interlaced to it, depending on how OS X handles those types of things. Nvidia's control panel for Windows can.

9. Eric. macrumors regular

Hah...hahha....I want a picture of the Xbox360's screen showing a resolution set over 1080p. Otherwise this is complete BS.

10. brandon826 macrumors newbie

I have a 32" display and my when I hook my iBook up to it, it looks excellent! Your MBP should far outperform my iBook so you should be fine :)

11. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

your right, i'm wrong. [​IMG]

maybe i should get the hd cable, huh?

12. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

You also don't mention make/model, so we cant look it up.

13. Eric. macrumors regular

Some TVs can accept 1080p over component, but apparently its a rare feature. My 46" Sharp AQUOS can. Otherwise it looks like you need HDMI (which your 360 may not have if it was one of the earlier ones).

Edit: Of course none of that matters with your Mac. Haha, got a little carried away...Get a DVI to HDMI cable from www.monoprice.com if your plasma has HDMI input.

14. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

TH-42PWD8 - panasonic commercial grade

again, i have a "display" which is not a regular tv. if i had 9, i could make a whole wall one image since they can be connected like that and it has those kind of options. i can add or change my inputs and expand with cards sorta like a computer and remember, it's a commercial grade tv which so it doesn't have a tuner, speakers, etc.

15. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

one more thing to add. now i know this is an ED tv, but HD on it looks killer. i have a buddy at work who has a 50" aquos (spelling?) and my video games look better and dish picture is about the same (we both have the same dish set-up as well). with all this, i am believing that the cost for an HDtv is a rip off since the technology isn't up to par to see any difference. even on movies mine looks great. and with the 4000:1 contrast ratio and hdmi availability, you'd think it's a scam somewhere in the works huh?

link for more info: http://www.progressive-av.com/flat_screens/panasonic_th-42pwd8b_42pwd8.htm

16. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

according to

http://www.retrevo.com/s/Panasonic+TH-42PWD8?rt=sp

TH-42PWD8

Display Resolution 852 x 480
    Supported Resolution 480p

it dosent appear to be capable of HD, although it may accept inputs from HD sources.

I have the TH42PX80B

Display Resolution 1024 x 768
    Supported Resolution 720p.

can you drive the screen at native 852x480? i drive mine at native and im very impressed.

Drive Native, your eyes will thank you in the long term!!

17. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

i don't know what native is and i really think hd and ed are somewhat in the tuner more than anything. the picture looks too great to not be actual hd.

18. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

19. finn104 macrumors newbie

Both Audio and Video

I see how you can take the video from a Mac Pro and using a HDMI putting the video on a TV/plasma monitor. What if you want to take both the audio and video from MAC (i.e. Internet) then via a HDMI plug it into your surround sound receiver's HDMI and play it through that so then the video is on the monitor and audio is through receiver.

Can that be done with a mac adaptor and if so which one?

Thank you

Finn