Hooking up a Cintiq to a 2011 iMac: which adapter?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Swift Sketcher, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

So the 2011 iMac has a thunderbolt port only for hooking stuff in, and the cintiq needs either dvi or vga to work. But I wanted the opinion of people more knowledgeable than me on the matter on which adapter I should get, and which will give me a better picture.

I was also eyeing this off-brand dvi to mini display port adapter which is super cheap! Almost too cheap vs. the apple brand one, making me wary of it functioning, even though the reviews are pretty good.
    http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-F...Laptop/dp/B003BHHIA4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Anyway, any advice on the matter is welcome, thank you!

2. simsaladimbamba

You need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (not the other way around), just like the adapter you linked to.

3. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks for the info!
    I guess I'll order the cheap one and see how that fares. And I guess that means I should go with DVI vs. VGA then?

4. simsaladimbamba

As the Cintiq has a DVI port, AFAIK, go with DVI. But I don't know if the two smaller models have DVI too, and not just the big and third model. Maybe check on the Cintiq homepage or:

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have a Cintiq hooked up and as stated above just buy/use this unit and it will be fine and work well. Just make sure your iMac detects the Cintiq display.

Attached Files:

6. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, just got the above adapter today and it works flawlessly! At $5 bucks it's a steal vs. apple's. Let's hope it holds up. Thanks for the help guys!

7. crylic macrumors newbie

I'm having some major problems right now regarding this exact topic. I bought a 3rd party dvi to thunderbolt adaptor and it did not work at all, after trying everything i decided to call wacom and see what the deal was. They told me that for dvi to thunderbolt, im not likely to find many options that work, they did suggest Kanex brand tho, saying that they have 100% success with them.

I have a friend that has a vga to thunderbolt, i just tried it now and it seems to work, it's apple brand, so i'm going to go and buy an apple brand dvi to thunderbolt and see how that does me. If it's no good I may be stuck with the vga option.

8. redache macrumors member

I've had no issues with Neet® Cables, so I advise trying those before putting all the money in for an Apple one :).