Hooking up a Macbook to Sony Bravia HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacMan96, Sep 26, 2009.

1. MacMan96 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Unibody (late 08) with the mini displayport. I want to hook it up to my Sony Bravia (KDL-40V3000). Since the HDMI ports are all used up, the only ports available are the VGA, and Component.

My questions are pretty basic:
    What is my best option to hook it up, giving me the highest resolution (the TV says it does 1920 x 1080). Will both VGA and Component do that?

Also, I do already have the mini displayport to DVI adapter for another monitor I use, so I could get a DVI->VGA adapter I think. But if that's going to degrade the video, or whatnot, I don't mind getting a different adapter for this project.

Thoughts or experiences doing this...

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

MiniDisplay port to VGA is one option, and it will be much better than RCA (very poor resolution).

For the audio you need another audio cable.

check here

www.monoprice.com

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

According to the TV's user manual can be found here, 1080p is supported over VGA. However, you cannot go MDP-->DVI-->VGA via a DVI-to-VGA dongle/passive adapter, as the DVI signal output by the MiniDisplayport is only DVI-D (only a digital signal). You'll need the MiniDisplayport-->VGA adapter from either Apple or monoprice.

4. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

if your tv has an HDMI input (it should) I highly recommend trying that. you will need a separate audio cable

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

He said they're all used up.

6. MacMan96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Looks like monoprice has a cable that I wouldn't need an adapter with, except it's not in stock or not made yet. :-( At least I know what I need now.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

8. Moocher macrumors regular

Go to monoprice.com and get:
    1. minidisplay port to hdmi adapter
    2. monoprice hdmi switch 1.3 compatible with remote
    3. any hdmi cables you might need
    4. whatever audio cables you decide to use (see below)

The displayport to hdmi works great but doesn't carry audio. Use Apple's optical out to a receiver, or mini stereo to RCA to the tv. The switch also works very well and I highly recommend it. Monoprice's site is down right now so I can't get links for you, but the switch is not expensive ($30 runs in my mind). This is what I use from my mini to my 1080p big screen and it is excellent.

Mooch

9. MacMan96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Might sound silly, but that's the difference between VGA and HDMI with regards to picture quality. Won't both achieve the maximum 1920 x 1080 resolution?

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Quality will be pretty similar. Sometimes, the digital-->analog conversion (MiniDisplayport-->VGA) can add some noise/reduce sharpness in the picture. If you can't see the difference, then it really doesn't matter :)

11. broad macrumors member

the easiest thing to do would be to remove one device that is plugged into your HDMI ports now. If you have an HD cable box, for example, just use component video for that. I would bet that you would see absolutely no difference between HDMI and component on a cable box