Hooking up a new 27" cinema display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dwhynman, Sep 18, 2010.

1. dwhynman macrumors regular

I plan to get a 27" display to use with my iMac. I also would like to use it with my MBP from time to time. When I want to switch the display from the imac to the MBP do I need to shut down both computers hook up the ACD start the computer and then re set up in system preferences? or can I just switch on the fly and the computer will recognize the display and revert to the settings that I set up the first time i hook up the display?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No need to power down the iMac or MBP. You can just plug the cable while they are both running and they both will recognise the display.

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Yep it works fine. Plus OS X Snow Leopard is really smart about external displays, it will even remember the settings for the second display, including the wallpaper, which side you prefer the menubar+dock to be on, etc. It works perfect with the environment where you might plug/unplug your 2nd display at any time.

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

What the others have said. Just unplug the mini display port from your iMac to the Macbook Pro. Snow Leopard is really great about setting up multiple monitors, it will remember everything when you plug in and unplug monitors, projectors, etc. It's just another thing that makes Macbook Pros so good on the road for presentations, etc. Plug in your display and good to go.