Hooking up an iMac to an HDTV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LoganT, May 31, 2007.

1. LoganT macrumors 68020

So I'm going to be buying an iMac when they are updated. I'm thinking about buying an HDTV too. If I connect my iMac to an HDTV with a DVI cable, will the picture appear on the iMac and the HDTV? Because I would like that. Or would it be one or the other?

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

the picture could do either of the following:

1) mirror your screen. this is fine if you're going to watch downloaded movies fullscreen without using the computer.

2.) screen spanning. this is the dual desktop. you just drag VLC or itunes onto the big screen and you can watch full screen on that TV while being able to surf the internet and use the other desktop without disturbing the movie or show. but itunes covers the laptop desktop with a black screen.

i don't know if itunes will block out the desktop when fullscreen. i know when i have parties, i hook my laptop up to my hdtv, then put on itunes visualizer fullscreen. this way i get nice music from surround sound and SWEET ambiance.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can turn on mirroring where both screens will have teh same display, but the resolution will be dropped to the lowest common denominator or you can extend your desktop and display different things on the two displays. There's no way I know of to turn off the internal display in the iMac though your could make the external the primary display.

B

4. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

Okay well then I guess I would buy the AppleTV. Do any of you know how long it takes to convert HDTV content record on EyeTV to 720P Apple TV?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:confused:

I have both the :apple:TV and my iMac hooked up to the same HDTV, but I must be missing what you're trying to achieve here. What isn't the iMac doing that you want?

B