Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
There are two types of plugpack. REGULATED and unregulated. Make sure you get one that is REGULATED and higher than the total current of the lights. Also, get a fused one if you can.
If you got an unregulated one, if the full current wasn't drawn from the lights, the voltage would go up, this increased wattage could blow a "bulb".
EDIT: Also, if the lights only display their wattage on them, just divide that by 12 to get amperage. (W÷V=A, VxA=W, etc)

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
epepper9 said:
There are two types of plugpack. REGULATED and unregulated. Make sure you get one that is REGULATED and higher than the total current of the lights. Also, get a fused one if you can.
If you got an unregulated one, if the full current wasn't drawn from the lights, the voltage would go up, this increased wattage could blow a "bulb".
EDIT: Also, if the lights only display their wattage on them, just divide that by 12 to get amperage. (W÷V=A, VxA=W, etc)

I can't seem to find any wall warts that are regulated...

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
AlmightyG5 said:
I can't seem to find any wall warts that are regulated...

One example would be Radio Shack 273-1680, but again the Tripp-Lite PR3 will give you a more comfortable margin at half the price (and has a power switch and fuse built in)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Yep, we've got a couple of those multi-voltage RadioShack bricks floating around work, and they seem to get the job done fine. I second iMeowbot's suggestion to drop the extra couple bucks on a 1A DC fuse to go with it, though--98% chance it's not necessary, but if something goes wrong (say, you accidentally short something when you put it together) you'll be glad you've got it.

(I've worked with DC power supplies that have a soft overcurrent protection that will shut it down if something draws too much current, but those are several hundred doller, very stable supplies for data aquisition systems and I know cheaper units won't hesitate to blow up on you if you push them too hard.)

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
epepper9 said:

Yes do what he says. Unregulated dc converters are never never never any where near there rated voltage. Most of the ones i have say 12v and really put out 15 or 16.

I have never messed with these types of lights before, but it they are at all sensitive to voltage make sure that you have a regulated power supply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.