hooking up iMac to HDTV

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I'm waiting to purchase a new iMac once they're released but have a question. Is it possible to connect the iMac to your HDTV, and if so hows the quality? Do they have a HDMI out?

I have a windows machine hooks up via hd cable that's one thing I hope the Mac can do

Nov 28, 2010
located
iMacs don't have HDMI out, but you can use a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter plus an HDMI cable to connect your Mac to a TV.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"
from

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Hard to tell what the quality will be since they aren't out. The iMac screen, however, rocks.

The issue is usually with fast action, like gaming. Wait and see what those users say since they are the most demanding.