Hooking up iphone to RCA in car stereo problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ToddJ, Nov 12, 2010.

1. ToddJ macrumors 6502

I am hooking up my iPhone to my car stereo from a 3.5 to RCA (it is rare i know)however, unless i turn down the volume on my stereo, my GPS apps voice gets distorted. Would it be better to use a connnection that uses the dock connector to RCA? also, when i try to use the Voice Control, you can barely hear the iPhone computerized voice speaking through my speakers...is there a way to fix that?

2. Mario Loco macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have my iPhone 3GS hooked up to my eq through 3.5 to RCA. No sound problems at all. I even use it as a speakerphone as well. I've never really tried using voice control. Never thought of it. I'll try it in the morning and let you know.

3. Mario Loco macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have my iPhone 3GS hooked up to my eq through 3.5 to RCA. No sound problems at all. I even use it as a speakerphone as well. I've never really tried using voice control. Never thought of it. I'll try it in the morning and let you know.

4. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

If you can...ALWAYS go for line-level output using the Dock Connector. You're only amplifying the signal once (using your car), rather than twice (your car and the small headphone amp in the phone). It bypasses the phone's volume control and only uses your car's.

I use the Griffin AutoPilot, which has a 3.5mm jack on the side of the "bulb" that should be fine for connecting the cable you were using. It does give the "this device may not be compatible" error on my iPhone, but works and charges as expected. They have a newer version, but it's more expensive and doesn't add a whole lot.

5. joudbren macrumors regular

I'm using the dock connector to RCA in the car as well for my iPhone4 and it works perfectly. I bought the Apple component video cable and just use the stereo jacks on it and it also has a USB connector for charging that is connected to a cheap USB lighter socket adaptor. It was kind of pricey at $50 bucks but a big iPad size charger also comes with it so not too bad a deal.

I'm using the ProClip adjustable cradle in the car which has a passthrough dock connector that lets me leave the Apple cable permanently attached to the cradle. The cradle wasn't cheap at $80 but it's really well made, adjustable to fit the case on the phone and the phone just slides in and out in a split second. Convenient! Cable connectors are all hidden away in the dash and everything works great.

www.proclipusa.com

Cheers!

James

6. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I never thought about that - if the AutoPilot ever craps out, I may pick one of those up and use that instead. I'm using one of these and have been pretty happy with it for mounting it in my car: http://us.kensington.com/html/17546.html

Fry's had it for $24 (on sale from $40).

7. Mario Loco macrumors member

I like how that Kensington mount looks. I have been looking for the perfect iPhone mount to put in my truck.

For music control I use an app called Fluxtunes. It has very easy to use swipe controls. I've had the app for about 2 years. Apple should have developed touch controls for the iPod app. Oh well.