Hooking Up Monitors to use with FCP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stackjones, Jun 18, 2009.

1. stackjones macrumors newbie

hello.

i have a pair of Yamaha HS50M monitors, with 1/4" jacks (xlr too). these monitors are powered. i want to hook them up to my powerbook, because the speakers in the computer are insufficient.

my guess is -- i need a stereo mini-jack with 1/4" connectors (one end is a mini-jack with 2 cables coming out for the monitors.)

that's my guess.

here are my questions.

1) is this the correct cable?

2) what port on the powerbook do i plug the stereo jack into? (there are 2 on the left hand side, and i am not familiar with the icons. one appears to be for speakers and one appears to be for a mic.

2) what type of sound will i get from this configuration? i'm guessing that the audio will be inferior, weak and distorted. i can't imagine a stereo mini-jack processing sound properly.

so...

if my assumption of distortion and inferior audio is correct...

3) what "realistically" (considering budget) would i need to purchase to have clean audio coming from the computer into the monitors.

please be specific, and don't skip steps in your explanation, assuming i understand. i probably won't!!!

thanks

2. stackjones thread starter macrumors newbie

addendum

maybe i should add this info.

looking at those tiny ports, they look flimsy and weak.

i am thinking if i hook up a mini-jack with the weight of the 2 cables, that weight could damage the port.

also - should this configuration be balanced, or unbalanced?

not sure i even understand the difference.