hooking up my mpb to a dell 2311h

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by selvage, Mar 27, 2011.

1. selvage macrumors member

what settings do i need to use? i have a 2011 i5 mpb hooked up to my dell 2311h. i have mirroring turned on. i have the resolution to 1920 x 1080 60.0 Hz. but the screen has black borders on it and the text isnt clear? im using a MDP to DP connection

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mirroring means that it mirrors your internal screen, pixel by pixel. Thus, if you have a resolution less than 1920x1080 in MBP, the external will have black borders. I recommend you to use extended desktop mode so you can take full advantage of the external.

3. selvage thread starter macrumors member

thank you very much. one more question. is there a way i can have different settings stored

i want certain computer settings like my dock to be a certain way when im connected to my external monitor. but when i unplug it it changed the settings on my laptop too. so i have to go back and change things the way i like im on my laptop screen. is there a way to have separate settings saved for both when i'm connected and when i'm not connected?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't think that is possible. You could use another account for external monitor setup and have different Dock and other settings for it.