Hooking up new Apple TV to composite in TV set?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by skiltrip, Oct 22, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I really would like to get the new Apple TV, but all my TVs are of the non-HDMI in type. They all have only composite(Yellow/Red/White) inputs. Is there any good adapter that doesn't cost a ton of money in order to do this?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

No. It's probably going to set you back at least 100 bucks to get a working adaptor from HDMI to componant.

3. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I was afraid so. I haven't been able to find any affordable converters, and I know even with one of those high priced converters, the image quality is bound to suffer to a degree that I will find annoying. Guess I'll have to convince the wife we need to transition over to some flatscreen TVs. lol. Anyway to make an old TV die? I think that's the only way a replacement will happen. haha.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

...got a sledgehammer? :D

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

End of November sales bound to get you a couple of opportunities at a 32"+ HDTV with HDMI inputs for less than $200.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Shouldn't be too hard to make your point, if your TV doesn't have HDMIs. Upgrade your cable to HD and explain her that it is time for a new one. I am all for it to no replace anything that is no broken or it is no need it. however a TV without at least 1 HDMI on it...."NEEDS" to be replace :D:D
    good luck!

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A good excuse for new HD cable/satellite as well.

8. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Check out dealcatcher.com, that's where I found my daughters 32in LCD at. I think it was around $229. They update daily.

Personally I enjoy my apple tv enough that I cut off my dish. So For me it'd been worth it to have to buy a new tv. But to each their own!

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

Good point...having AppleTV will give you the ability to drop your cable or satellite bill, so in 2-3 months time if you are an avergae subscriber with about a $100 bill, you would easily have enough to buy a new 32" HDTV.

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

aehm, I'm in the same boat and need something a bit more subtle.

Or I just donate it to charity and tell her the Salvation Army invaded us and stole it??

11. ThomasBags macrumors newbie

EDIT:
    WRONG THREAD, sorry

I started making some comments about composite and such, and realized it was gonna make me look like an idiort in this thread because it was the wrong thread.

OH but I do know one thing, HDMI outputs YCbCr I believe, so depending on what your TV supports through component, you may be able to just use an HDMI to component adapter. If someone could, confirm this for me