Hooking up Samsung TV as external display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wagonwould, Apr 17, 2009.

1. wagonwould macrumors newbie

I'm trying to hook up my Samsung LNT1954H tv as an external display for my aluminum macbook pro. The TV has a vga input on the back, and i have a mini displayport to vga adapter, and the vga cable to go between them. So I hooked it up, and it all fits, but the tv keeps showing "no input devices" when i try to switch the source. I followed the instructions and everything, but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Make sure you are choosing the right resolution. If it's a 720p tele, then 1360x768 (or 1280x720) are usually the native resolutions, and for 1080p 1920x1080.

3. wagonwould thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked, and it's set to 1360x768, which is what the tv manual says as well. Still no input devices detected. I tried using the same cable setup with an hp display, and thats works perfectly, but I need this samsung tv to work in it's current location! Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I should also note that the macbook recognizes the tv, but the tv doesn't recognize the macbook.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I have a Samsung I connect to my MBP thru a DVI to HDMI cable and never had a problem.

Make triple sure you are on the right source. Also, try going into the Sammy's menu for inputs and see if the settings are correct there. Maybe something there you can tweak...

Good Luck.

And what the above poster says!

5. wagonwould thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed!

I didn't have the update, so I downloaded it and poof! It works perfectly. Thanks for the quick help!!

6. bowlby87 macrumors member

bowlby87

7. ferrarofilms macrumors member

HDMI the best

Tray to connect via DVI to HDMI cable, when you see video playback on it you will be blown out by the quality, nothing to do with VGA connection, especially if you watch videos with Q.Time player or FCP

8. kolax macrumors G3

The quality...? VGA can do 1920x1080, so how would the quality blow me away by using HDMI?

I know VGA is analogue, but we aren't going to see any minor improvement when hooking a Mac to a TV by using HDMI rather than VGA..

9. ferrarofilms macrumors member

Try it out

Just make the trial and then come back to with the results. Just starting up, computer hook up is non interlaced, HDMI is. Have you seen the difference between watching a DVD on your computer and watching it on your TV with an up scaling DVD, there is the difference. If you are not going to watch video, then it´s OK.