All iPads Hookup 16 iPads to 1 out?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Silverrune, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Silverrune macrumors regular

Is it possible to hookup 16 iPads to something and have them output on one channel? As if they were one device? I need to find out a way to do this for my school. :confused: Would it be possible to put an hookup a ton of audio splitters into the Mic port of a MBP then use Aux from the iPads to plug into these?

Kinda like this?

Attached Files:

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I take it you're trying to combine audio from 16 separate iPads? No, you can't connect them directly with just audio port connectors. This is something for which you'd need a sound mixer -- a sixteen channel mixer at that, if you want to do it in one step.

3. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

So I wouldn't be able to daisy chain something like http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=563449632784ea90fe7555801cc96e46en02
    is what your saying.

Would it be possible with an Apple tv?

4. nostresshere, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

nostresshere macrumors 68030

Assume you are talking about just the audio, right?

The answer is less of an ipad question, but more of taking 16 devices of any kind into one unit. For testing purposes, just try 2 to see what happens. Simple stuff.

Once that audio leaves the ipad, it is just like any other device.

5. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I'm not an audio person, but my concern would be combining the input from so many devices may overload whatever you're inputing into.

You might want to be more specific about what you're trying to accomplish.

Clint

6. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

Hard to be more specific, I don't know what it's for, I just need to get it done XD

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

8. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

9. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Except that article has all the devices connecting via Bluetooth or WiFi. No chance of blowing up an input by combining the signal from 16 devices into something that's expecting the input from one device.

Let us know how it goes, please! I'm curious now. :)

Clint

10. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't work for what we need, we need to be able to also hear each other's live audio while we are recording. We can't do that with Jam Session unfortunately.

11. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Combining two time-varying voltage signals is more complicated than shorting two wires together. (That's why they have sound mixers.) The source of the higher voltage at any given time will pass current to the other source -- whether, and to what extent, this will damage an iPad, I don't know. But I wouldn't try it on mine.

12. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

Your best bet is to run them individually into an sound mixer. You'll get the best quality sound that way too.

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I will try hard not to be rude, but how can you attempt to do something without knowing what it is you are trying to do?

Whomever DEMANDED you to do this should explain what it is they want done, otherwise they risk getting something done, but not what they wanted. Or somebody saying you can not do it, when in reality, you are trying to accomplish the wrong IT.

Meanwhile, we all trip over ourselves trying to solve some unknown problem. And, how can you ask for help, when you do not know what it is you need help with?

Sort of like a guy stopping you on the corner and saying "I need directions", and when you ask "Where to?", he says - no idea, I just have to get there.

14. charlituna, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Apple TV can only handle one feed at a time unless you are in a specific app like real racing 2 that allows more. And you can't record it.

A mixer is the best way to get several channels of sound at the same time. Especially if you don't want the results to suck. And you can output off the mixer to your recording gear

Depending on what the school needs it for you might be able to rent something or get something second hand. Try any local music stores