Hope for a new 17" MPB at Macworld?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thegivenone, Dec 29, 2008.

1. thegivenone macrumors newbie

Hi all -

Hopes for an update of the 17" MacBook Pro to align it with the rest of the unibody family were sort of high at the end of October and now seem to have died down.

What do people think - will they release one? I have been waiting for one of these for a very long time - I really hope they bring them out!

2. lscangus macrumors 6502

I think so.

I have returned my unibody 15" as it is too problematic. I hope the 17" one will be better.

If you go to apple website, is impossible to get the information of the old 17" model now

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i think it's just a matter of time before a 17" unibody is released.

macworld '09 seems a reasonable timeframe. if not then, it shouldn't be too much longer.

4. Vodka macrumors regular

5. infernohellion macrumors 6502

17" will come at some point.

The question is the spec, and when.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its silly really because i've been waiting to buy one too and if apple wants my money they should just release it, we all know theyve got them, theyre just waiting for the backlog of all the old 17" models to sell off, thats why they reduced theyre price by $150, the problem is most people know a new one is around the corner and theyre holding back, loosing apple money in the long term. Now i may as well wait until Snow Leopard comes out and save myself another $100 which Apple has now lost. I guess its going to be worth the wait though, hopefully they wont have all the Rev A problems the 15" cousins have had :p

7. lscangus macrumors 6502

8. lscangus macrumors 6502

Lets hope the case won't be easily bent, improved internal speaker, no audio click, no overheating, better battery life, and smaller cases.

One of the thing i found out is the new keyboard is extremely easy to wear out.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I think the case is going to be easier to bend, after all its 2 inches of extra space so its not going to be as structurally sound, and with 2 inches of extra screen i think the battery life will be less.

The only upside is with the bigger form factor there may be more internal space, and therefore better cooling so yeah less overheating, and they may put a bigger battery in, but i highly doubt it.

And the keyboards going to be the same =[

10. lscangus macrumors 6502

To be honest, my unibody MBP structure is not as strong as my mates thinkpad.

thats why i have some thoughts on the current apple design trend.

see this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=624294

11. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

As someone in another thread has already stated, the 17 inch has always come out 3 months after the 15 inch. Most recent example is when the first MacbookPro came out.

15" MBP annouced at Macworld 06, Shipped February then at NAB in April 06, we saw the 17" MBP. So, thats 2/3 months. So January would fit quite nicely.