Hope I Can Do Tethering With iPhone 3GS and iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by kevhui, Jan 30, 2010.

1. kevhui macrumors regular

Although it is only $139 higher for iPad 3G, I still prefer tethering with my iPhone 3GS - one SIM card does everything. Hope my dream can come true.

2. huskyte macrumors newbie

It probably does work like that, but tethering has been locked for quite a while.

Here in switzerland it is an option, more expensive than the initial contract. So rather getting an additional contract. ;-)

The more interesting question is: Will the iPhone allow tethering with the iPad although tethering with any other laptop will remain locked? This would be a pretty positive surprise for the users of the iPad and a slap into the face of the providers. Legally they couldn't do anything about it around here, when using the same allowed limit. It is just all about the software. Same goes for VOIP.

3. bossxii macrumors 68000

If you jailbreak your iPhone, yes there is a way to use your phone basically as a hotspot any Wifi device can pick up. Apple devices especially :) I fully expect to JB my phone (again) once this comes out for this purpose. I already pay 30 bucks a month for a unlimited data plan, I see no reason to pay twice for something I don't even use that often. I have done this with my MBP for nearly 8 months and I think the largest month of data was March 2009 when I was streaming my slingbox to work for the NCAA tourney. I used like 4.2gigs. Normal usage for surfing, email, dl a few apps or pics, less then 400mb

I have so many options for Wifi anymore, may not even need to. My office is finally setting up wifi as my boss finally got a new enough computer it actually has it built in lol. Welcome to the 90's!

4. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Ditto.