Hope I'm not duplicating threads...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by elaniemay, Nov 13, 2011.

1. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

My husband is going to buy me an iPad 2 for Christmas. We are planning to buy it on Black Friday since there are discounts (Best Buy has stated that they will be having a sale on the iPad 2 but hasn't announced exactly what that sale IS). Usually we use Black Friday as the day we buy our gifts for eachother and don't wait for Christmas to "give" them, but this year I wanted to wrap the iPad 2 up and make myself wait for Christmas to use it. Lame, I know, but that's okay. The only two problems that I see about doing this is that 1) I won't know if the iPad 2 is damaged/defective if I don't open it until Christmas and if so 2) I will be over the 30 day return time-frame.

I guess the two options are 1) wait until closer to Christmas and lose the discount or 2) open the iPad and begin using it when I get it on Black Friday.

Am I missing anything? I never have surprises on Christmas anymore, which is fine because the holiday is now focused on my children, but I just wanted that "something" to look forward to on Christmas morning; a defective iPad 2 is not what I want, though.

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Interesting problem. And thanks for not asking whether you should buy an iPad 2 or wait for the iPad 3.

If it makes you feel any better, the chances that you'll get a defective iPad are very small. But even if you do, you'll be covered by Apple's warranty for a full year from the date of activation. If that happens, you'll be disappointed on Christmas morning, but you'll be able to return the iPad to Apple for a replacement (even though you purchased it from a third party vendor like Best Buy.)

The only thing you'll have to worry about is "cosmetic" damage. Apple doesn't warranty "cosmetic" damage but it's not quite clear what's "cosmetic." (Typically it means that the device is fully functional but has a scratch here or there. Dead pixels, on the other hand, are typically NOT considered to be cosmetic damage.)

If you do encounter a problem that Apple won't cover, you have the option of purchasing a third party warranty such as that from Square Trade for about $100. That will provide the same coverage as Apple but also covers "damage" caused by drops, bumps, etc.

All in all, I think the risk you'll bear in terms of waiting for Christmas morning is almost vanishingly small. In fact, if you purchase the iPad from Best Buy on Black Friday, (11/25), I suspect they'll honor the 30 day return until at least 12/26 though that, of course, is pure speculation.

3. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

the Apple warranty begins from the date of purchase so you will be covered whether you buy it now or wait. what will be impacted is your ability to return it for a refund if you buy now and wait to use.

i'd say to buy it now if you can get the discount and use it now. while i can understand why you might want to save it until christmas, you'll find the ipad to be fun, useful, and convenient...why would you want to wait for that?

----------

not according to the apple website:

How long is my iPad covered by Apple's warranty?

Apple's Limited Warranty for iPad covers your iPad for one year. Warranty service for eligible repairs is available at no charge for twelve months from the date of original retail purchase ("date of purchase").

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=ipad

i think refurbs are from date of activation.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Oops, my error. In this case, however, it wouldn't make a difference since the issue is whether she would be covered on Christmas. (As you note.)

5. gatearray macrumors 65816

Many stores have extended holiday return periods to account for Christmas gifts.

I'm not sure about Best Buy, but the Apple Store allows for returns/exchanges until January 4th for anything bought from now through Christmas day. They basically allow for an adjusted 14 day return window starting from 12/25.

Merry Christmas! :)

6. Mindy60 macrumors regular

I was just about to say the same thing. Check with the stores and find out what their return policy is during the holidays since many will be given as a gift. Don't tell them it's for yourself!! ;)

7. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

if your a Silver/Premium member of BestBuy Rewards you have a 45 day return period.