Hope NFC is in the next iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by matttye, Jun 13, 2012.

1. matttye macrumors 601

Apple NEEDS this, look how freaking useful this is:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ating-simple-tasks-with-an-nfc-capable-phone/

You could stick a tag by your bed to turn off sound, set your alarm clock, disable Bluetooth etc.
    You could stick a tag in your car to enable gps and launch a sat nav app.
    You could stick a tag by your door to have it enable gps and launch a running app if you're going to go running.

I'm gunna order some :D the possibilities are endless!

2. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Dude, iphones don't even have 4G yet. Apple is so far behind on current tech, you will be lucky to see NFC in iOS 8. My Razr Maxx can already do all that without NFC anyways, its called Smart Actions.

3. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Not the same... with these you just hold your phone up to them. You don't have to change any settings.

4. Brenz macrumors member

Me and a friend were actually talking about this earlier and how NFC would go great with Passbook so your iPhone could automatically load your store card and have it ready for a simple swipe over a payment terminal.

5. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Maybe that's why the backplate is metal and not glass...

6. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

7. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

You clearly don't know what Smart Actions is because its better. You don't need to carry around RFID tags, pull them out and tap your phone to it. Smart Actions will set everything for you based on time of day or location. Far better than NFC

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...Services/SMART-ACTIONS/SMART-ACTION-APP-US-EN

8. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Nope, but NFC of course has the benefit of other people being able to use them too!

9. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

See my edited post above yours

10. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I want the next one to have NFC, I can get an NFC case from my bank which allows me to use paypass on my phone, but I don't want to have to add bulk to my phone just to use paypass.

11. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

I don't go for a run at a particular time of day or in a particular location... it varies. How would I go about setting up a smart tag for that? And what if someone I was going running with wanted to use my tag?

12. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

pressing a button on your phone is still going to be easier than carrying around little tags LOL. Thats absurd.

13. Brenz macrumors member

The idea is you would stick them in appropriate locations, so you could swipe your phone over one as you go into a meeting room to silence it or hide one in your dashboard to launch a sat-nav.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

NFC is useless.

Smart Actions is a really good concept.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Wrong. AT&T iPhone 4s have a 4G in the upper left corner.

;)

The Tags feature is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Hell after seeing how Square works i'm not even sure NFC is all that great. The best thing about NFC is the security but then again Square is doing 6 Billion in business and i've not read any security issues.

If Apple's not doing it then it probably means the technology isn't fully baked whether that means conceptually or physically.

16. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple holds 26 NFC patents. It's likely they will use them at some point.

17. matrix07, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

There's an article recently detailed how Apple could use Bluetooth 4.0 for payment instead of NFC. It's a good article and make you question about the usefulness of NFC for payment. Remote payment vs. walking to the counter to flash your phone. etc.

18. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

This. I even gave examples of this in the original post!

----------

Did you read the link and watch the video I showed in the op? NFC is really useful. Smart actions are good for specific times and places, but what if I want to set up a car mode in my car, for example? My car doesn't just sit in one place so a smart action wouldn't work.

You can set up tags that have "switches" so you tap it once and it does one thing, then tap it again and does another. Get in car, tap tag, turn Bluetooth on, GPS on, open spotify, open navigation. Get out car, tap tag, turn Bluetooth off, GPS off.

19. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

NFC is an amazing technology. I would love to put my phone on my bedside table at night and my phone automatically switch to silent with vibrate off. I best the vast majority of people who are against it also have no clue how to reap the benefits of automator on osx ;)

20. irDigital0l Guest

Thats not 4G, thats AT&T marketing bs.