Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Apple NEEDS this, look how freaking useful this is:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ating-simple-tasks-with-an-nfc-capable-phone/

You could stick a tag by your bed to turn off sound, set your alarm clock, disable Bluetooth etc.
You could stick a tag in your car to enable gps and launch a sat nav app.
You could stick a tag by your door to have it enable gps and launch a running app if you're going to go running.

I'm gunna order some :D the possibilities are endless!

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Dude, iphones don't even have 4G yet. Apple is so far behind on current tech, you will be lucky to see NFC in iOS 8. My Razr Maxx can already do all that without NFC anyways, its called Smart Actions.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Dude, iphones don't even have 4G yet. Apple is so far behind on current tech, you will be lucky to see NFC in iOS 8. My Razr Maxx can already do all that without NFC anyways, its called Smart Actions.

Not the same... with these you just hold your phone up to them. You don't have to change any settings.

Brenz

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Me and a friend were actually talking about this earlier and how NFC would go great with Passbook so your iPhone could automatically load your store card and have it ready for a simple swipe over a payment terminal.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I want the next one to have NFC, I can get an NFC case from my bank which allows me to use paypass on my phone, but I don't want to have to add bulk to my phone just to use paypass.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I don't go for a run at a particular time of day or in a particular location... it varies. How would I go about setting up a smart tag for that? And what if someone I was going running with wanted to use my tag?

pressing a button on your phone is still going to be easier than carrying around little tags LOL. Thats absurd.

Brenz

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
pressing a button on your phone is still going to be easier than carrying around little tags LOL. Thats absurd.

The idea is you would stick them in appropriate locations, so you could swipe your phone over one as you go into a meeting room to silence it or hide one in your dashboard to launch a sat-nav.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

Wrong. AT&T iPhone 4s have a 4G in the upper left corner.

;)

The Tags feature is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Hell after seeing how Square works i'm not even sure NFC is all that great. The best thing about NFC is the security but then again Square is doing 6 Billion in business and i've not read any security issues.

If Apple's not doing it then it probably means the technology isn't fully baked whether that means conceptually or physically.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple holds 26 NFC patents. It's likely they will use them at some point.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
There's an article recently detailed how Apple could use Bluetooth 4.0 for payment instead of NFC. It's a good article and make you question about the usefulness of NFC for payment. Remote payment vs. walking to the counter to flash your phone. etc.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The idea is you would stick them in appropriate locations, so you could swipe your phone over one as you go into a meeting room to silence it or hide one in your dashboard to launch a sat-nav.

This. I even gave examples of this in the original post!

----------

NFC is useless.

Smart Actions is a really good concept.

Did you read the link and watch the video I showed in the op? NFC is really useful. Smart actions are good for specific times and places, but what if I want to set up a car mode in my car, for example? My car doesn't just sit in one place so a smart action wouldn't work.

You can set up tags that have "switches" so you tap it once and it does one thing, then tap it again and does another. Get in car, tap tag, turn Bluetooth on, GPS on, open spotify, open navigation. Get out car, tap tag, turn Bluetooth off, GPS off.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
NFC is an amazing technology. I would love to put my phone on my bedside table at night and my phone automatically switch to silent with vibrate off. I best the vast majority of people who are against it also have no clue how to reap the benefits of automator on osx ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.