hopefully a simple question about MIDI connections

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by uncleMonty, Sep 5, 2014.

1. uncleMonty macrumors regular

Hi, I am trying a very simple setup on a laptop (MacBook Air running 10.7). I have installed the softsynth ZynAddSubFX (the newest release has brought back OSX support) and connected it to the system audio output using Jack Audio. I can control the synth from the laptop keyboard, and I hear it fine through my monitors, via an Apogee Duet audio interface.

The problem is in connecting via midi. My external keyboard that I want to use to control the softsynth is routed through an Mbox2. In OSX's AudioMidi setup, I can see the Mbox2 as an available midi device, but I cannot see ZynAddSubFX to connect it. In the MIDI tab of Jack Audio's "connections" window, I can see ZynAddSubFX as a writable client, but the Mbox 2 (nor anything else) doesn't appear in the "readable clients" pane. So I have no way to connect the two.

Could anyone help me to troubleshoot this? My external keyboard is connected to the Mbox2 correctly but there are no indicator lights when I press the keys--should there be? It's been a long time since I used that unit.

2. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Maybe you need up to date drivers for your device that doesn't show up.

3. uncleMonty thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice - I should have mentioned that I did that before posting. And the Mbox 2 shows up in OSX's Audio/MIDI setup page, just not in the Jack Audio app qjackctl. I either need to get it to show up there, or I need to get the softsynth to show up in the OSX Audio/MIDI setup page, so I can connect the two.