Hopefully not a stupid question... (hold button and battery)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ItouchMe, Sep 18, 2007.

1. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

Hey. I have a question. I own an Ipod Touch and i was just wondering. If i just press the hold button once, does that mean its using or not using battery power. Or for it not to use battery i must shut it off totally. Also to get alrams from my calendar.... do i have to have the ipod on hold or can it still remind me when its totally shut off

2. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Good question, wondering much the same myself. Probably it's "asleep" (low-power mode) when on hold, and the only way to prevent any power drain is to turn it off (red slider). Notice that it takes a while to start up after turned off, but not when it's just on hold.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I don't have a touch, but if there is no music playing and nothing on the screen then I would say its a safe bet that little to no battery is being used :D

4. ItouchMe thread starter macrumors regular

ItouchMe

yea i was assuming that it would be like a standby. But i dont know if you had a 5G Ipod Video. You could shut it off and put it on hold and as soon as you released the hold button it turned right on. Unless it was shut off for a while

5. Ninden macrumors member

Ninden

My guess is it would be similar to a Mac running OSX.

Pressing the button once is like shutting the lid. It's fast, and it consumes very little power. It also wakes from this state extremely fast. (Although you can continue to play music from this state, so it's slightly different)

A full power down however and then the subsequent boot up are longer because the touch runs OSX (a slim version, but still a complex OS), it takes time to boot up. I doubt there will ever be a need to fully power down unless you know you will be not using it for an extended period of time and want to keep the battery full.