Hoping for a New 20" Cinema

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by groove-agent, Apr 14, 2009.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I originally bought the 24" cinema for a docking solution to my uMBP. After placing it on my desk and turning it on, I had to laugh. The thing was absolutely huge! It's way too big for my desk, and everything else around it. It was great for playing games, and watching movies but for every day use, it's just too large for me. Also it seems the larger the screen, the more glare sources it can pick up.

I'm hoping for a new 20" cinema with the power, usb and display port. Do you think they'll make a new 20"? I hope they don't ditch the smaller 20" for a 24, and a 30. Some of us don't want the entire desk taken up by our monitors! Not to mention, a 24" isn't very practical for a dual or triple monitor set up.

2. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

Just want to say I agree with your comments! I really hope they think about reintroducing some smaller screens again, and soon. The big screens are lovely but just way too large for me to fit two on my desk as I want if I upgrade. They're pretty much forcing me to buy third party monitors going forwards which is something they've never done before.

I'd also quite like the option of [Mini] DisplayPort and a more standard connector so I can use it on my old G4 as well as a future Mac Pro. The convenience of having multiple port types on my otherwise awful work monitor is not to be ignored.

C'mon Apple!

3. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

I'm down for a 20inch Apple ACD.

What I realy want, though, is a 24inch ACD (glossy, just like the one now) with a silver bezel instead of the current black.

4. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope Apple doesn't think of only offering one size of screen from here on.

5. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

We could always preorder one of these:

http://www.cinemaview.com/details.html

Gosh, they're so FUGLY! I don't know what it is ... maybe it's the way the rounded corners look or something? Maybe that combined with the height of the stand?

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

That and one of the members of the company, Jack Campbell, is a well known con man (just Google "Jack Campbell scam").

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The truth is that Apple may not ever give us another 20" LED ACD like they never gave us a 17" ACD of yore.

The only solution would be to grab a Dell, HP, Samsung 20" monitor with the same specs, and kiss the convenience of a USB, Mini Display, and Power cable built in good by.

Personally, I am still going to stick with the previous gen ACDs which are still as accurate a panel as I am ever going to find in that <$600 price range.

8. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Honestly. I don't see the reason to buy an Apple displays. For their computers the clear reason is OS X but the display are just crippled versions of the same panels used in other displays. And the LED system used in the 24 inch is not the same as the ones in those 2000 Samsung screens. Those use local dimming to achieve higher contrasts. The contrast on the ACD is nothing to run home about. Also, i wouldn't want to tie myself to Mini Display port as it seems like its just a dumb move by apple (why not plain displayport, its no larger than HDMI used on many laptops).

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

Hey can you provide some links to the Samsung displays that use locally dimming LED? Thanks!

10. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh oh ... Ifeel sorry for those who preordered their displays!

11. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't understand Apple's logic. Do they think that we have unlimited sized desks here? There's only so big a screen can get before it is not parctical. 20" screens are almost too big for your average desk. 24" is kina rediculous.

I get the impression that apple is looking for a more consumer and hobbiest customer rather than a professional/ business customer .

12. The Hammer macrumors regular

13. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I don't think Apple will ever offer anything below 24" ever again.

I wonder how long Mini DisplayPort will last. Maybe it will go the way of the other 600 proprietary display connectors Apple came up with over the years.

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This and there are those times when a 20" is just what's needed. I remember my first 20" ACD, and the feeling of "Wow this thing is huge!" that I got when pulling it out of the box.

I know some cutters that work on 2 20" panels over anything else just because of practicality and personal preference.

15. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a good point. Many professionals use a multiple screen setup. It's not very practical to do 2 or 3 24" screens. There's not enough room and for many of us, not enough money.