hoping for an 11" Air with 256GB flash storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sir42, May 26, 2011.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

If that's an option on the next refresh I would most certainly pull the trigger. I have a 4 year old 15" MBP right now with a nearly full 160GB hard drive so there's really no way I could go down to 128GB. And while I suppose I could get an external HD for the Air that would just add an extra layer of complexity that I would rather not deal with. Here's hoping...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can get up to 480GB with an OWC SSD. 240GB is more reasonably priced and closer to the 256GB.

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

As Hellhammer said, you can always buy the OWC Mercury Aura blade SSDs.

Sell your original SSD to cover part of the cost.

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    My friend HH beats me to the post again!:D

5. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought the SSD that comes with the MBA was relatively worthless on the resale market. Am I wrong in that?

6. curvephotograph macrumors member

I thought the flash drives in the air were stripped out of an enclosure and placed directly on the board?

"Getting rid of the hard drive enclosure and using only the parts that matter — the actual flash chips" from apple website

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

They are but the board they are on has two connecting plugs on one end and a screw on the other, the OWC one connects in the same way. Here's a link to show you how simple it is.:cool:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_air_2010/

8. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

I sold mine (SSD'S) on E-Bay, they all were 64GB SSD's;). I got $75 each for them, to one individule, who runs an Apple repair shop

9. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

While I would love to have the option for a 256G SSD for the 11.6" MBA from Apple, I suspect we won't be seeing it for the next update. If they give 256G as an option for the 11.6" MBA, I'm certain they'd feel the need to bump the 13.3" model to 512G to differentiate it from the 11.6" MBA. I don't see that happening (and, thus, I don't see there being a 256G option for the 11.6" MBA in the next update).

10. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I too don't foresee Apple upgrading the base flash storage for either 11 or 13 inches. I hope I am very wrong though, as I'd love to see the 13 inch get the 256 GB flash storage as a standard.

Does installing the OWC drives void warranty? (I'm guessing yes?) EDIT: Wow, just watched the video. That's incredibly easy to do. Wish it was that easy to add RAM to the Air as well.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_English_v5.3.pdf

Unless you damage something, the warranty should not be voided.

12. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Thanks for the answer HH.

Um, off topic, but the song for the instructional video is quite good. Does anyone know where it's from or the artist? ><

13. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Good to know. I was wondering what sort of market the original SSD's could be used for. I'm hoping to upgrade my 128GB SSD to around a 400GB one next year and sell off my 15"MBP. Nice to know I might be able to sell the original. I asked OWC why they don't buy it but got no response.

My only reservation would be the unlikely chance that if I had a problem that required sending it in then I may need to swap the original back in for Applecare purposes. I inadvertently sent in 3GB of "bad RAM" once with a Applecare repair job on a 2007 MBP and the sent it back with it replaced with a 2 GB set.

Cheers to sunny FL, I'm there now actually Cheffy Dave.

14. johneaston macrumors regular

Is he your friend?

15. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You might be able to sell a 128GB SSD to someone with a base Air looking to upgrade, or someone with a failed original blade SSD. idk but I've seen em going on eBay for quite a bit.

They strip out the chips from the drive and place it directly on a board, which is then connected to a socket on the mobo.

Similar to what Sony did with their SSD layout on the VAIO Z (launched Feb'10).

16. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Is there anyway I could insert Macbook Air SSD into iMac board? Using some adaptor, converter kits or so? I really want SSD so bad, just don´t want to blow my bank account yet :)

SSD of Macbook Air is thin like RAM, should be easy to be inserted inside iMac and using duct tape to keep it stable if only we have the right connectors :p

17. johneaston macrumors regular

If the 11" also has an SD slot I'll go for it.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know if this is the case anymore, but in the early 2000s, playing around in sections of the laptop that Apple deemed "non user-upgradeable" may have voided your AppleCare whether you damaged the laptop or not. The reason is the computer repair person doesn't know whether your actions caused the damage or not. RAM and the harddrive were usually parts you could upgrade yourself, but if you tried to do anything else, they could refuse to repair your laptop under the Apple warranty, since the warranty only covers manufacturer's defects. Instead, they'll try to charge you for it.

They've done this with physical damage as well. For example, if your computer's screen starts flickering, and there happens to be a small dent on the top lid, they may not service your laptop because they believe that the dent may have caused the malfunction. Even if the dent had been there for years prior to the malfunctioning screen, they won't necessarily take your word for it.

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure Apple must prove that the damage was caused by the user. I'm not sure about US but at least we have a law in here that defines that. Otherwise they could always blame the user for the damage if there are any 3rd party components in it, no matter is it defined as user-replaceable or not (if you upgrade the HD in MBP and damage something, Apple does not cover that. Therefore, if your MBP has a 3rd party HD in it and the ODD goes bad, they could in theory blame you for the defect).