Hoping for Configuration advice for a new rMBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paintsmeblue686, Sep 24, 2014.

1. paintsmeblue686 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm hoping to get some advice on what to configuration to buy, and if I should buy now! Here's my background:

I'm a current grad student (just returned this semester) in Statistics. It's a funny field in that people have Mac's and PC's, but one of our major "stat packages" only runs on PC's. I bought my first Mac, a Mid-2011 MBP when I left grad school to teach and have fallen in love, so despite wanting to use programs only available on a PC, I'd like to stay within the Mac family! This is why I'm asking for help! I need to be able to have my laptop do the following:

Run Parallel's or VMFusion as fluidly as possible. Within the Virtual Machine, I'll have either Windows 7 or Windows 8 installed (whichever is cheaper and that I can get my hands on, I think I would prefer Windows 7). The software that I'll have installed on the Windows side will be SAS and perhaps WinEdt.

As a grad student, I don't have a ton of money, so I don't want to spend money on upgrades that I might not actually see, but I definitely can spend the money to make sure the computer does what I need it to do with speed and fluidity.

My Mid-2011 MBP is still running ok, but has gotten slow over the years and is really not capable of doing what I need to do right now (I was assured that it would be able to run Parallel's or VMFusion which it really wasn't able to do ever). I can use it for the time being, but am looking for a long term solution! I've heard / read the rumors about a big upgrade. I know that you need to take the plunge when you buy technology and something new comes out every day, but I'd like to not buy a new computer that's going to be replaced in 3 months! :)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Windows 8.1 for retina.

Well it seems to me that with a 250gb hard drive partition for windows, then your best bet will be the 2.8 ghz 8gb 512gb ssd version. If you want to save a bit of cash (what student doesn't) then the 2013 refurb with a 2.6ghz will do you fine for less.

For your use case I would go with bootcamp and let windows use your whole system, if it's only for one bit of software then the 20-30 secs it'll take to shutdown and reboot is not that much. and 256gb ssd will be enough.

Windows 8.1 has far better hiDPI scaling than previous windows versions and may wekll be much better with the retina screen.