Hoping for wireless charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FortWorthMac, Aug 9, 2016.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

I'm sure a lot here are smarter than me so hopefully I just don't know what I'm talking about, engineerinly speaking, so here goes.

Whenever apple decides to include wireless charging, either with the next phone release or whenever, who thinks apple will make the technology proprietary? Thereby keeping us from using the current Qi standard. Then charge us $100 for the charger?

I hope I'm wrong but knowing Apple's past I don't see any other way around it.

Thoughts?

2. G.McGilli macrumors regular

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

And it'll be better than anything else out there.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It could go either way. They've decided against going proprietary 100% of the time and even embrace newer technologies like USB c
    Maybe. But I wouldn't say that's the case with everything Apple.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If and when Apple releases wireless charging, they will be late to the party, but it will be unrivaled and with the feeling 'Why you absolutely want it.'

I also am calling it now, Apple patents long range wireless charging for the iPhone!

6. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, that's why I have both an iPhone and a Nexus 6p. I want the best of both worlds. If the Nexus line of phones would incorporate wireless charging I think they'd be the best phone on the market.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Long range wireless charging is already beyond concept and (I imagine) patented (in not going to search for a patent right now it's 1am lol). Of course, that's doesn't stop Apple from absorbing a company, a patent, or just getting a license.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

9. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Apple has patents for long range wireless charging of it's own.

10. comptr macrumors 65816

Wireless charging would be nice since a lot of new cars are coming with Wireless charging pads built into the cars. It would make it easier to charge the phone, but would they have to go to a glass back to get Wireless charging to work ?

11. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

Look at the Watch as an example, I'd imagine the solution would be compatible with both devices. Proprietary.

12. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

I think it'll come next year with the all glass iPhone anniversary edition. Some inductive charging like the Apple Watch. Hopefully the dock doesn't look like a padded toilet seat.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Didn't know that. Good to know. More then anything I'd love to see long range wireless adopted to the Apple Watch. Never having to charge manually would be a godsend.

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

It'll charge. Seamlessly. Wirelessly. Only Apple could bring this to you.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Wireless charging is notably slow. It would be a nice feature but not a deal breaker for me.

16. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I think Apple will make something to compete with Samsung's fast wireless charger. It takes around 2 hours to charge my S7 Edge (3600 mAh) from 0%... Even faster in my daily use since my battery never goes that low. This is one feature I'm looking forward to in the 2017 iPhone. I haven't used the charge port yet on my S7E since I bought it. I hope Apple makes a dock/stand fast wireless charger. With the "always on display" feature S7E, I use my phone as a clock/alarm stand. Doubt it will cost $40 for Apple brand... I bought 2 wireless charge stands for that price... 1 for my nightstand, and 1 on my office desk. I would like to do the same for the iPhone in 2017.