hoping to change to the mac side

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by billyjoegibsonx, Oct 10, 2008.

1. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

hi!

i'm making this short, as i just spent the last half hour typing out a massive thread and realised i wasnt logged in!

like the title says

I'm hoping to change to Mac

and yes...from Windows XP/Vista >.<

I've just got bored of using Window computers. their slow, boring and more for business use i think. Plus their so common, you could walk into almost any leading store and purchase a Windows computer :rolleyes: with mac, theres only about two shops that i know of that sell them. Apple shop & Argos lol. I might be wrong though. Id rather own something that the minority of people use (mac) that the majority of people use (windows). I'm not saying that Macs are unpopular, oh no. Just everyone i know seems to have a Windows :rolleyes:

So yes. I think i'll buy a notebook mac. not a desktop, i need something portable.

i'll be using my notebook for:

• surfing internet
    • reading mail
    • using msn messenger (im willing to use the apple version, without webcam support :mad:)
    • creating youtube videos
    • downloading/ripping thousands of songs which will rapidly grow.
    • even more photographs, as i'm a keen photographer.
    • recording lots of songs as i'm a musician.
    • possibly make short/long movies
    • install windows xp or vista so i can install demanding games and such.

i'd also like a lot more extra space, as i don't like using external hard drives, and if i do have to purchase one, i want to make sure it'll be a long time before have to do so. It would also have to have lots of storage and be small and simple as possible. no power supplys etc.

I know it's my decision in the end on what i buy, but i need some advice and a rough idea of what i'm looking for when it comes to buy my first mac (i'm hoping to get one of the new models coming 14th oct)

i need an idea of processor speed i'll require, ram, storage, etc to do all of the above, fast and smoothly as possible.

Also, i need this question answered. I'm planning on keeping my Windows XP desktop, which is broadband installed with a router connected for wireless internet throughout my house. Would the mac easily pick this signal up and would it work properlly since its coming from a Windows computer ?

Thank you for your time :D

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

First, welcome to MacRumors.
    Second, thank you for knowing that there are actually updates.
    Third, since we know nothing about the updates, wait a while for the specs to come out so that people can help you decide.
    Fourth, don't steal music.

Again, welcome to OS X.

3. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for such a quick reply.

I realise that there is nothing known about the upcoming models. What i meant was, i just need a rough idea of the processor speed, ram, storage i'll need to do all that fast and smoothly. Then i can decide my self what Mac to go for when the time comes!

I don't steal music. By downloading/ripping, i meant. Downloading from iTunes store, and putting cds on the computer, which i get from shops. I still like to own physical cds lol.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'd say top MacBook or base MacBook Pro, but since we don't even know if they're merging the lines, I don't know what to say.

Something comparable to either of those when the new ones come out is a good bet.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I echo Tallest Skil in welcoming you to the forum and to the world of Mac. Take a look at the updates/new models due next week and choose what best suits your immediate needs. Bear in mind that the existing models will quite probably be generously discounted when the new ones are issued, (and will come with all warranties, and rigorous testing, etc). However, I'd suggest that you wait until next week (and nobody apart from the inestimable Mr Jobs nows what is coming down the tracks), check out all of the options - both new and superseded models, and choose what you needs seem to indicate. Having said that, I myself have a MBP and I'm very happy with it - it's the best computer I have ever owned.
    Cheers and good luck