Hoping to try the 6+ before the 7 comes out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hermes Monster, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

My son recently damaged my iPhone 6 quite badly, so it's with the insurance company at the moment to repair or replace. I'm hoping they send a new one, as I then plan to sell it and buy a use 6+ - new 6's are selling for around £350-£400 and used 6+ selling for £200-350. I really want to try the larger screen for a few months so I can then make a decision on which size to get when the 7 is released.

This is a major drawback (in the UK) when buying phones on a contract, if you don't like it, you're stuck with it for two years (unless someone can tell me otherwise?). Alternatively, I'm hoping that Apple bring the Upgrade Plan to the UK.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this, perhaps it will give others the same idea (minus the breaking the phone)

2. madgibbon macrumors member

Most UK phone providers offer a 14 day 'cool off period' where a handset can be exchanged for a different model. I've done this a couple of times in the past. You can also do the same if you purchase the phone from an Apple Store.

3. Hermes Monster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I knew you could if you bought from Apple, but I thought the cooling off period didn't apply if you actually used the phone when bought from a carrier? Unfortunately, just holding a phone doesn't give you a good enough idea if the phone is suitable for you, and that you will be comfortable with it for two years.

I bought my wife's 6S from Apple using Apple's finance but the monthly cost plus the price of a monthly sim just doesn't save much money in reality, when compare to getting a package from a carrier (especially via Mobiles.co.uk or Uswitch for example)

What's your thoughts on the Plus? What did you have before?

4. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

My wife is 5'1 and she's a lot smaller than I am (hand wise). She loved her 6+, used it for 1.5 years and got the 6s+ when we upgraded recently. You can make anything work if you try hard enough, imo. I prefer the 6s+ (had the 6+ for 1.5 years too) because of viewing space and battery life. We both have iPads and we still will not go with a smaller iPhone. But not everyone is the same as us. My phone goes in my back pocket when I walk, fits in my pants (I don't wear skin-tight jeans).

I'd recommend going with Apple for that 14 day period - yeah may not save much over a carrier iPhone but ... in my experience here with Verizon, I much prefer dealing with non-commission paid Apple Store reps than Verizon reps getting upset when I don't purchase a $40 case or insurance.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It really just comes down to user preference. My wife loves the 6 and thinks it's the perfect size. For her, the bigger screen of the Plus is worthless because her most important requirement is to be able to use it one handed. I'm the complete opposite and love my Plus because the bigger screen is important to me.

6. Hermes Monster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I think the 4.7 is a good size 50% of the time, at other times I wish I had an SE and others I wish I had a Plus! I think the main driver for the plus, for me, is when I'm watching videos on it, the rest of the time I'm totally fine with the smaller size.

Obviously there's rumours of a dual camera, and who knows what other features which are exclusive to the 7 Plus, and that's another reason I'd like to go big - but will those features outweigh the extra cumbersomeness of the phone?

7. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Nothing about the 7 really excited me. The 2GB of Ram and the 12 mp camera in the 6s+ is what prompted me to update to the 6s+ from the 6+ -- I hoped on Apple's Upgrade Program so I can upgrade in a year (if I want) to the rumored glass 2017 iPhone - if that rumor is still valid (hard to keep track of them all). lol.

8. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

I know it's not very fair if you plan to return it from the beginning but you always have the option to just order a 6(S)+ directly from Apple. You can even extend the return period a little if you initiate the return in the online store on the last of the 14 days. It will be picked up from where ever you want and UPS, TNT Express or whoever is responsible for that in the UK will call you to make an appointment, what has not to be the next day. I kept an iMac 20 days before it was picked up.

But it was not planned like that. I just did not like the FusionDrive and the CTO options had a much longer delivery time. I ordered a much more expensive version of it a few weeks later for my bad conscience. :oops: Not directly from Apple because a reseller had the maxed out version in stock but despite that Apple got much more money from me as if I kept the first one. So if you plan to buy the 7 Plus (or however it will be called) later and keep it, it's nearly the same.