horizontal expose

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Draddy, Jun 5, 2008.

?

does your computer do this?

1. Yes, god it's annoying

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. sometimes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. never

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Draddy macrumors regular

am I the only one this happens to? It seems like this has always done this since 10.4 and I figured it would be fixed by 10.5

but most of the time, with a single application open, this is how my expose opens.... absolutely useless.

open another application like mail sometimes fixes it, but right now no matter how many, or how few windows or applications are open, it always lines them up on that little horizontal axis, rendering itself completely useless.

Attached Files:

2. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

If all your windows are the same height, this will happen (regardless if they are from different apps). If Mail is "fixing" the problem, then I would bet that its window is a bit smaller than the others. Once any window is different, then Expose has a priority in height that it can use to start shuffling the windows. Otherwise, all windows have equal claim to be the window closest to the top of the screen. Think of it as the computer analog of two guys trying to walk though a doorway at the same time and getting stuck.

3. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

what kind of crappy system is that? of course all my same app windows are going to be the same size.

4. iGeek macrumors newbie

iGeek

they should fix it

Agreed, this is a tremendously annoying "feature" of Exposé, and I had also assumed it would be fixed in Leopard. I'm sure it would be an easy fix for Apple. All we (the users) have to do is jog one window one pixel down, and it then tiles correctly (albeit somewhat sporadically). Couldn't the Exposé function do that?

And speaking of sporadic resizing, have you noticed that if you have a bunch of huge windows and a small one (like iTunes in mini-mode), the small one scales down just as much as the big ones? Disproportionate scaling, and a slightly more rigid arrangement of windows, might be more useful. Oh, and what's up with the drop shadows disappearing? Come on Apple, we expect grueling attention to insignificant details ;)

What does everyone else think?

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

my apps arent. i have mail, safari, firefox, itunes, etc. all of them are different sizes. apple assumes when we use expose, we dont have about a zillion safari windows open and nothing else, rather we have maybe mail, itunes, maybe imovie or something.

6. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Whatta hell? How many pages you need to open that to occur? I opened quite a few which is definedly enough and still they showed just fine!

[​IMG]

7. Thiemo macrumors member

I also suffer a lot from this problem. It occurs when I have several exactly same sized windows opened in Safari.
    My workaround is to resize – a single one – window by some pixels. Then Exposé will magically arrange it properly.

I've provided Apple feedback and I'd suggest you do so too:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/