Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strokee

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2018
If apple introduces horizontal face I.D. with iOS 12 (as rumored), will the current iPhone X be capable of this feature, or will it only be capable with newer devices with updated hardware (i.e. 2nd generation TrueDepth camera systems)?

Also, are software updates alone a viable means in which to improve Face I.D. overall (speed, accuracy, etc.) or is this accomplished solely/mostly with hardware updates?

Thanks for your opinions!

Reactions: dk001

Strokee

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2018
I imagine it would be available to the iPhone X. I don't know for sure, but it seems like it would be a software thing.

I certainly hope so. To be honest, a lot of these "next generation 2018" iPhone X rumors sound like a slap in the face for those of us who forked out $1,000.00 for the current iPhone X (or in my case, $1,200.00 for 256 gb). I understand Apple has a bottom line, but hearing that prices for updated models may drop by $100.00 or so, updated Face I.D./smaller notches, faster processors, better cameras, fast charging out-of-the-box and the current iPhone X being discontinued...all 10-months after release...it's frustrating. Again, I understand they have to sell phones, and technology advances, but it still seems like a slap in the face for those of us who spent A LOT of money on the iPhone X.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As far as portrait or landscape Face ID considerations, I think that would be more towards the iPad using Face ID in landscape mode if that is something that will be a possibility when Apple does implement face ID into the iPad.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I certainly hope so. To be honest, a lot of these "next generation 2018" iPhone X rumors sound like a slap in the face for those of us who forked out $1,000.00 for the current iPhone X (or in my case, $1,200.00 for 256 gb). I understand Apple has a bottom line, but hearing that prices for updated models may drop by $100.00 or so, updated Face I.D./smaller notches, faster processors, better cameras, fast charging out-of-the-box and the current iPhone X being discontinued...all 10-months after release...it's frustrating. Again, I understand they have to sell phones, and technology advances, but it still seems like a slap in the face for those of us who spent A LOT of money on the iPhone X.
The standard business model for the last ten years is news to you?

“Slap in the face”, come on.

Reactions: iapplelove

Strokee

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2018
The standard business model for the last ten years is news to you?

“Slap in the face”, come on.

The "standard business model" has been to charge over $1,000.00 for a device that will (potentially) be discontinued in less than a year, updated and then sold for less with components out-of-the-box (fast chargers...again, potentially) that were sold separately 10-months prior? Yes, this is all news to me.

Again, I get understand the bottom line, but it does seem like a bit of a slap in the face, all things considered.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
The "standard business model" has been to charge over $1,000.00 for a device that will (potentially) be discontinued in less than a year, updated and then sold for less with components out-of-the-box (fast chargers...again, potentially) that were sold separately 10-months prior? Yes, this is all news to me.

Again, I get understand the bottom line, but it does seem like a bit of a slap in the face, all things considered.
You haven’t lived in a capitalist country in the last 50+ years?

What bearing does a discontinuation have on your device? I get the other concerns but that one doesn’t impact you in any way, I don’t get it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Cars are changed pretty much every year (plenty of times with all kinds of add-ons and improvements that the previous year's model doesn't have) and the previous year's model would no longer be in production typically. Been like that for decades and decades basically. And those things cost way more.

Strokee

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2018
You haven’t lived in a capitalist country in the last 50+ years?

What bearing does a discontinuation have on your device? I get the other concerns but that one doesn’t impact you in any way, I don’t get it?

I will move past the snarky, rhetorical lead question. The discontinuation "concern" isn't much of a concern...just one minor "concern" among the other listed concerns. Feel free to remove it from the list if it helps.
[doublepost=1527105277][/doublepost]
Cars are changed pretty much every year (plenty of times with all kinds of add-ons and improvements that the previous year's model doesn't have) and the previous year's model would no longer be in production typically. Been like that for decades and decades basically. And those things cost way more.

Agreed. The newer, updated models tend to cost more each year, too. They usually don't get newer, better and cheaper.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014

This is EXACTLY what I have been thinking. Hands down.

Reactions: DeftwillP

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I will move past the snarky, rhetorical lead question. The discontinuation "concern" isn't much of a concern...just one minor "concern" among the other listed concerns. Feel free to remove it from the list if it helps.
[doublepost=1527105277][/doublepost]

Agreed. The newer, updated models tend to cost more each year, too. They usually don't get newer, better and cheaper.
That depends. A brand new model of a car with some brand new technology can cost somewhat more than some follow up models that might be better but are at that point using more established technology that is more mainstream and more mass produced and can be cheaper to obtain and use. Now, the pricing might still go up basically, but not because it would be more expensive for the manufacturer, but because they simply want to make more money and see the market willing to pay more even if the actual cost that goes into it is actually on some level cheaper than before.

Strokee

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2018
That depends. A brand new model of a car with some brand new technology can cost somewhat more than some follow up models that might be better but are at that point using more established technology that is more mainstream and more mass produced and can be cheaper to obtain and use. Now, the pricing might still go up basically, but not because it would be more expensive for the manufacturer, but because they simply want to make more money and see the market willing to pay more even if the actual cost that goes into it is actually on some level cheaper than before.

I agree with this. But 10-months later?

Strokee

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2018
In the tech industry? A year is a considerable amount of time.

Yes, it is. But 10-months usually isn't a lot of time for a car to be discontinued and for tech to necessarily become "mainstream."

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Yes, it is. But 10-months usually isn't a lot of time for a car to be discontinued and for tech to necessarily become "mainstream."
Where is this 10 month time frame coming from? September is historically the iPhone event. The X was introduced on Sept 12th of 2017.

To be clear, I’m not being snarky with this question. I don’t understand what the 10 months is referring to?

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Have you ever used an Android device?! Your 10 months will then become every other month.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The car was used as an analogy, meaning it wouldn't be a one-to-one comparison. The tech industry moves faster and somewhat differently as it's still evolving.

We can also think of the X as more of a special anniversary edition device rather than just another update basically, which had some newer (at least for Apple) tech that wasn't quite as established for Apple and with all of that had a somewhat higher price. As it gets adjusted to be just another model that's part of the regular offering the pricing can potentially change.

Ultimately, what are we talking about here: are we saying that it would be better if the price would go higher simply because the initial version was priced somewhat higher?

Strokee

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2018
Where is this 10 month time frame coming from? September is historically the iPhone event. The X was introduced on Sept 12th of 2017.

To be clear, I’m not being snarky with this question. I don’t understand what the 10 months is referring to?

The X was available for purchase in November. The new one likely in September of this year, which would be 10-months.
[doublepost=1527110273][/doublepost]
The car was used as an analogy, meaning it wouldn't be a one-to-one comparison. The tech industry moves faster and somewhat differently as it's still evolving.

We can also think of the X as more of a special anniversary edition device rather than just another update basically, which had some newer (at least for Apple) tech that wasn't quite as established for Apple and with all of that had a somewhat higher price. As it gets adjusted to be just another model that's part of the regular offering the pricing can potentially change.

Ultimately, what are we talking about here: are we saying that it would be better if the price would go higher simply because the initial version was priced somewhat higher?

I get it: Myself (and a lot of others, being that the X has apparently been the highest selling smartphone since release) overpaid for the novelty of the tech. It was our choice, but prices going down, with fast charging included and improved tech would be easier to swallow if it happened after a couple of cycles and not less than 1 (10-months later).

Last edited:
Reactions: Freakonomics101

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Historically, Apple has reserved new features for new phones.

For example, the features below likely work on older phones, but Apple restricts them to new devices.

• Raise to wake (iPhone 6s)
  • HEVC (iPhone 7)
  • Portrait lighting (iPhone 8)

Horizontal Face ID and split screen multitasking are attractive new features for the 6.5" iPhone. I think Apple will encourage consumers to buy new devices to enjoy the new features.

Strokee

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2018
Historically, Apple has reserved new features for new phones.

For example, the features below likely work on older phones, but Apple restricts them to new devices.

• Raise to wake (iPhone 6s)
  • HEVC (iPhone 7)
  • Portrait lighting (iPhone 8)

Horizontal Face ID and split screen multitasking are attractive new features for the 6.5" iPhone. I think Apple will encourage consumers to buy new devices to enjoy the new features.

Lol, awesome. "Hey guys, we know you just spent 4-figures on the iPhone X 10-months ago (assuming you were lucky enough to get it then), but how about dropping another 4-figures to get these features?!?!"

Some will disagree, but maybe a slight slap in the face? ;-)

Reactions: Freakonomics101

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I’m fairly certain that it will appear on the 6.5” Plus. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a differentiating feature on the 6.5” along with the better camera, better resolution, and whatever else Apple will deem just for the 6.5”. At least for this first year. Then the 2019 5.8” will see the horizontal FaceID as well.

I could be wrong, but this has been Apple’s way of operating since the two sizes were introduced - the larger phone gets more and better features. So it’s just my guess. I can see the firestorm it would cause, but I wouldn’t put it past Apple. So many customers have said they are happy with their X and with Face ID as it operates right now, they may leave the 5.8” as it is and maybe just improve its response time. Again just my somewhat cynical speculation.

I hope to see horizontal FaceID on the new iPad Pros if Apple does goes with the notch and slim bezel design. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I use my iPad almost exclusively horizontally (unless restricted by an app).

EDIT: I didn’t read the original question well... if the X does indeed get discontinued, I don’t see backwards compatibility for horizontal FaceID. Again, because Apple.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Lol, awesome. "Hey guys, we know you just spent 4-figures on the iPhone X 10-months ago (assuming you were lucky enough to get it then), but how about dropping another 4-figures to get these features?!?!"

Some will disagree, but maybe a slight slap in the face? ;-)
Where is the pressure to have the newest iPhone coming from? I still can’t fathom the idea of being insulted that a new product has come out, as they always do.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The X was available for purchase in November. The new one likely in September of this year, which would be 10-months.
[doublepost=1527110273][/doublepost]

I get it: Myself (and a lot of others, being that the X has apparently been the highest selling smartphone since release) overpaid for the novelty of the tech. It was our choice, but prices going down, with fast charging included and improved tech would be easier to swallow if it happened after a couple of cycles and not less than 1 (10-months later).
I mean I sort of get the buyer's regret you are taking about, but that is part of many things in life basically. Ultimately you are still getting what you originally thought was worth that price, since otherwise you wouldn't have paid it.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I can’t believe I bought an 06 Accord only for Honda to turn around and release an 07 model, the nerve!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.