Horizontal Keyboard

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by juneyah, Jan 29, 2008.

1. juneyah macrumors newbie

Is it possible to use the keyboard in this position so that it resembles that of a QWERTY keyboard .

2. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Only when typing in Safari. Just turn the phone horizontal and then click in a field to type in so it brings up the keyboard. If you already have the keyboard open and then turn the phone, nothing will happen.

3. mingenyx macrumors regular

any app that allows u to do this when you text or write notes? preferably text

4. Kobaiyashi macrumors member

I dont think there is such an application.

However, what I've found over the last couple of days is that I type pretty well with this even if I'm sloppy and somewhat careless with my fingers. In other words, try going as fast as you can and you might find--as I did--that the apple correction software figures out what you are saying 98% of the time. It actually seem less accurate when I actually think about my finger actions.

Just a suggestion :)

5. juneyah thread starter macrumors newbie

Hold up a sec, so there is no way to use the keyboard stretched out when texting, your stuck with a blackberry keyboard ?

6. meagain macrumors 68030

I'd like to at least try the keyboard in horizontal for email and I'm befuddled as to why it doesn't do that - and why I've yet to find a mod/hack to do that.

though I must say I find it easier to type in vertical than horizontal when in safari for some reason. But I'd like the option in email. Puzzled.

7. juneyah thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't bother anyone else that the keyboard is so small I didn't know this .

8. meagain macrumors 68030

The keyboard doesn't have to be big IMO. Actually, I find it easier to move my thumbs when they don't have to travel as far. Plus it's so intuitive - it gets everything right?

Did you just get an iPhone? Give it a day.

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

It does bother me. I too would like to have the option of writing texts and emails with a horizontal keyboard.

10. jeffmc macrumors 6502

you'll get used to it, i hated it at first
    just trust the keyboard more and it'll know what you're trying to type

11. juneyah thread starter macrumors newbie

I am so amazed to not hear any negative feedback before about this

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

People get used to it. I don't think it's that big of deal, so it shouldn't be an issue for most.

13. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I thought that I would hate it but have found it easier to type when its vertical instead of horizontal. I dont even like horizontal in safari as I barely ever browse that way.

14. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

As I type this from an iPhone, I can not comprehend why there would ever be a debate regarding giving people the option. If you don't want it then just don't use it. I for one would like to make my own choice.

15. Kobaiyashi macrumors member

I agree, and think everyone will say its better to give people the option. However, to answer the OP's later question, I think you hear less about this then you would expect because (as people have mentioned above) its actually easier and quicker to quickly input text on the small keyboard than on the big one.

Again, however, it should be an option.

16. cmpatel macrumors newbie

wow when i read this reply i thought that there was no way that you were right...but WOW i have been typing as fast as i can recently and its so accurate...even when im sloppy like you said it works almost perfectly thanks for the tip!!!!

17. cdavi060 macrumors regular

i too would love to see the day when i can hold my iphone like the verizon envy or voyager long ways and type but they are right...if you type fast with your thumbs its usually correct

18. XenNightz macrumors member

yea wtf, after typing in Safari with the horizontal keyboard, that's all I want! Come on Apple, give us what we want damn you!:mad::D