Horizontal line across screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by olly666, Jun 6, 2010.

1. olly666 macrumors regular

olly666

Yesterday my MacBook developed a black horizontal line across the bottom of the screen (about where the browser status bar is when maximized). I restarted, but no change (I did notice the line turns white when booting up). I hooked up a monitor, and noticed the line isn't present on the external display. I disassembled and did some air dusting, no change.

I'm no longer under warranty. So what can I do? Would disconnecting the video cord (internally) and then reattaching it be likely to resolve the problem?

Thanks.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8705/93328836.jpg

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Looks like you need to replace the LCD, go to greedbay (ebay) for a replacement.

3. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

What makes you say it's the screen and not the connection?

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Avoid ebay at all costs. They suck.

What model Macbook do you have? I can point you to someplace slightly more reputable than eBay.

5. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

I'm at work and can't look at the model # since it's at home. It's one of the early Alu models, 2.0Ghz...

Again though, why do you think I need to buy a new display?

6. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

7. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

8. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Yikes, the LCDs for aluminum MacBooks are relatively pricey, and an utter pain in the rear to install.

Apple's price on that repair is actually very competitive: $280 + tax as long as there's no significant "accidental damage."

Agreed, eBay is perhaps the worst possible source for parts.

Best wishes.

9. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

Can you explain why nobody is suggesting the connection???

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Because it never is the connection.

I have seen one display cable issue in over 2 years. that was a no video issue, not a line-in-the-video issue.

The screens for those machines are not expensive. Tops $90 shipped. The B133EW04 & B133EW07 that used to be $205-$265 are now under $100 and if your machine came with the pile of ***** LP133WX2 you get a screen that looks considerably superior as well. If you want to pay more for it you can, but it is not an expensive screen.

A pain in the ass is right though. If yours is the 13.3" one, it has a much more annoying adhesive keeping the glass there than the 15.4" one. Good luck getting that glass off without breaking it. I hate the 13.3" model. Make sure when you use your suction cup to remove the glass, that you are pulling with your arm, not your wrist. You don't want to use your wrist since you will push in one direction as you pull in the other, and your glass will crack.

11. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

Thanks a lot for explaining. Guess I'm just gonna pony up the money to have Apple deal with it...

12. revbarabbas macrumors regular

Just so you know it's $140 for a replacement LCD from powerbookmedic.com when they get them back in stock...and for Apple to fix it it will cost $470+labor, and they replace the whole display...just a suggestion that it might be better to do it yourself if you are inclined.

13. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

That's ridiculous. Maybe I'll just turn it into a desktop.

14. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Yeah, the display cable is at fault less than 1% of the time; it's hardly even worth mentioning.

If there's no sign of accidental damage to your computer, Apple's price is $280 + tax. If there's accidental damage, their price is ridiculous: $755 last time we checked. If there are dents, etc..., you should find a reputable Mac shop who can do the repair. If none of your local shops can do it cost-effectively, I'd suggest finding a nationwide mail-in company to do it.

We do it for $399 (includes everything—parts, labor, and 2-way shipping), but I believe there could be some shops who do it even more cost-effectively than us.

Let us know how everything turns out. A broken screen is no fun :(

15. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

16. darrellishere macrumors 6502

sounds like your graphics card/mother board is fried!!!!!!

17. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann