Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have noticed recently when there is a black screen--when I am turning on my computer or I have to log in--a white horizontal line on the screen. I have been able to measure where the line falls and it falls right below where the space bar is which ones the same length of the indentation into the aluminum for the keyboard.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering whether I should take it in or not.

Ach111es

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
The oil and dirt have scratched the screen there. It happened on my current dell laptop too, and it happens on many laptops (no need to say its just a dell thing).

The fix is a screen protector, usually a microfiber or felt rectangular pad to cover the keyboard

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I've had this happen on laptops before as well, notably my old M11x. For my 11" MBA I have a Moshi keyboard cover which has also surprisingly protected the screen nicely. No lines or anything after six months of use.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I have noticed recently when there is a black screen--when I am turning on my computer or I have to log in--a white horizontal line on the screen. I have been able to measure where the line falls and it falls right below where the space bar is which ones the same length of the indentation into the aluminum for the keyboard.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering whether I should take it in or not.

Apple's priority is style over function. Their laptops are so thin, the keys can rub the screen when closed. Its always been that way.

Google "Shaggy Mac" They've made a highly successful business out of selling custom fit, thin, high quality cloth screen protectors that you lay over the keyboard when closing your laptop.

I have one for each of my Mac laptops. Very reasonably priced they are ideal for wiping off the display. Washable they last years without fraying.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Apple's priority is style over function. Their laptops are so thin, the keys can rub the screen when closed. Its always been that way.

Google "Shaggy Mac" They've made a highly successful business out of selling custom fit, thin, high quality cloth screen protectors that you lay over the keyboard when closing your laptop.

I have one for each of my Mac laptops. Very reasonably priced they are ideal for wiping off the display. Washable they last years without fraying.

This is awesome. Thank you!

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I had a bad experience a few years back with a Toshiba that convinced me to (1) let my computers cool down a bit before closing the lid and (2) always put something like a thin microfiber cloth between the screen and keyboard. The time you spend packing stuff up, going to the bathroom, or finishing off your coffee instead of closing the computer and stuffing it in your bag can make a difference.

In the case of the Toshiba, apparently they designed it to blow excess heat out through the center of the keyboard. This melted the screen. I had it replaced once and the same thing happened again a few days later;-- a permanent horizontal line stretching across the screen.

Apple designs their computers better, and obviously the MBAs don't get hot like the MBPS, but people have recorded temperatures over 100 degrees on the keyboard. I hope this line on your computer isn't the same problem I had with my Toshiba, but at the very least it seems a good idea to put something between the screen and keyboard before in order to keep off oil and dust. My cloth only cost a few dollars and doubles as a screen cleaner :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.