Horizontal line on screen (Early 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swadd1er, Nov 12, 2014.

1. swadd1er macrumors member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me.

This morning, whilst reading through the “GPU failure” thread on the Early 2011 Pro’s (funnily enough), a horizontal line appeared on the lower half of my screen. The line is always there unless I take a screenshot where it is no longer visible . I have tried restarting the computer and have ran an extended ‘Hardware test’ where no problems were found. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? Although it isn’t a huge problem, it does get slightly annoying after a while.

The spec of my Mac is as follows:

MacBook Pro (15 inch, Early 2011)
    2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024MB graphics

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

RadeonGate?

3. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

4. swadd1er, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

Is there a fix for this problem?

Edit: After some research, it doesn't look like it at all.

5. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

A $300 bill and a trip to the Apple Store. :rolleyes:

6. swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

Is it likely that the problem will develop from just a line across the screen? I'd rather put up with the line across than pay $300. Or is it likely that it'll pack in all together?

7. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Hard to say. Could develop gradually or you could end up turning it on one day to be met with nothing but a grey or artifact filled screen. Mine ended up just not working one day. A few kernel panics and poof. Dead.

Now after 120 days my new logic board has a failed ram slot. Joy o joys.

8. swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

Surprised there's no replacement program in place by Apple. They're generally good with things like this. When you pay £1600, you expect it to last longer than 3 years. Is it worth a trip to the Apple store to see what they have to say about it?

9. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Well, if you're out of warranty you'll end up having to pay up. Simple as that. If you're only a few days or maybe a week out they might be more forgiving.

10. swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

From what i've read, it isnt a simple job of ordering a new component and putting in yourself. Pain in the backside. I'll be interested to see what Apple have to say.

11. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Yes it's worth it. You're in the UK, (I'm taking that from the fact you quote £1600 as the price) The sale of goods act is on your side. Go in, have a polite chat with a genius, and you'll probably get the repair done free.

12. swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

Is there anything technically that I should know about the problem before going to have a word with them? Just incase for whatever reason (which is unlikely) they try and claim that something else is the problem which results in buying a new system.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Nope, better if you go in acting dumb, and show them the problem. They plug it in to their LAN and reboot into their diagnostic program, which will run all sorts of tests and they'll know what they have to do from there.

One thought. Did you buy it from Apple or somewhere else? If you bought it elsewhere, let Apple diagnose it, but then take it back to where you got it from. The reason being is that the under the sale of goods act, your contract is with the retailer you bought it from.

EDIT: details of UK consumer law from Apple's website... http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

14. swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

I bought it from Currys/PC World. I'll take it into Apple first at the weekend and see what they say. Hopefully it doesn't give up the ghost before then. Fingers crossed.

15. swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

Have been speaking to a guy on 'Apple's live chat' about the horizontal line problem. Didn't seem to have a clue what the problem was. All he suggested doing was a SMC and PRAM reset. Surely Apple colleagues on the 'technical live chat' are aware of this Radeongate/GPU failure.

Appointment booked at the genius bar next week. Going in acting dumb.

16. swadd1er, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

Line has became more colourful over the last few days. Appointment on Tuesday.

17. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Is it always like this? If it was the Radeon GPU then it should only appear when that GPU is used. Maybe you have Automatic Graphics Switching enabled? Try gfxCardStatus and force it to use integrated graphics (click Integrated only twice for it to work)

18. swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

Yes its always there. I used gfxCardStatus and forced it to use integrated (Intel HD Graphics 3000) and the line remained the same.

19. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

If that is so then... it must be your screen, not your graphics chip.

20. swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

Is there anything i can do to try and solve the problem?

21. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Just be sure it is using the integrated GPU if you click integrated but something is using the discrete chip then it won't make the switch.

Also if it is Radeon gate, Apple do not admit fault. I had this issue and they said they has never heard of this happening. Then they tell the next person the same. They never say oh wow yep these are dropping like flies you're the 5th one today with this issue.

This has hit thousands of early 2011. It seems that its just a matter of time before it goes.

If it is the GPU make your case politely but showing knowledge. They may help you out or at least reduce the repair cost.

Given the scale of the problem I think its safe to say they have figured out it was their fault. Then they calculated the repair cost and weighed it against the negative PR cost and decided to do nothing. If enough speak up that balance may change.

22. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

23. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

+1

----------

I think their official line is to, like you, act dumb. :(

24. swadd1er thread starter macrumors member

Was at Apple today. First thing he done (which i didn't think of) was plug it into another monitor to see whether if it was the screen or a fault with hardware. Turns out the line wasn't present on the iMac screen he used.

£433 for a new LCD and the labour. Rediculous.

25. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Ouch! If it were me, I would live with it until the machine dies altogether. Maybe this is an early sign of Radeongate. :confused: