horizontal lines...is my graphics card broke or...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by madelyn, Nov 28, 2010.

1. madelyn macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

first time poster and new to mac, i recently (2 months ago) bought a MacPro 6-core 3.33 GHZ. with the standard ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB graphics card.

Now yesterday when browsing the internet for some nice wallpapers i noticed that some of the images being displayed had these thin horizontal lines running trough the image. (see example).

ofcourse this has me worried thinking that there is something wrong with the graphics card or computer…the weird thing is that for example if i open a finder window (or any other window) on top of the firefox window displaying the picture the lines disappear . i also have the impression that it only happens with images that are not displayed at full pixel view. for example i have my monitor's resolution set at 1920x1200. it happens when i look at a larger resolution for example 4096x1024 thats when i get the lines.

Weird thing is also that the lines are only showing on the mage itself and not over the entire screen

here's a link to the website and an example of an image i'm having this problem with (if you have same resolution as me try click on a larger resolution, the image that gets shown then is showing horizontal lines in my case) as if its not rendered wright.

http://jootix.com/I+Love+BOKEH!_1468.html

I was wondering or hoping if some of you people go take a look and see if you could reproduce the same problem i'm having just to give me some peace of mind and rule out that its the graphics card but more a browser problem. i'm running firefox 3.6.12

Image of the lines i'm seeing

http://img340.imageshack.us/f/lines2.jpg/

All help is much appreciated

2. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

1) is this intermittent or happens all the time?
    2) did you try on Safari?

3. madelyn, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

madelyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi nyzerwolf, thnx for replying...actually its not always happening only sometimes.

i tryed on safari and actually i'm not seeing these lines in Safari...

but just to make sure and give me some peace of mind is there smeone willing to see if they have the same problems when looking at a high resolution image on that site (this really is no spamming or anything its just some basic website with some desktop wallpapers.

4. madelyn thread starter macrumors newbie

5. madelyn thread starter macrumors newbie

6. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

I checked the wallpaper, and I am not seeing the horizontal line that you are experiencing. I checked it with firefox & safari. all clear here. tried multiple resolutions - no issues..

If you are not seeing that horizontal lines in safari, may be you want to trash Firefox and re-install it again, and see if you still see the horizontal line.

7. benedict007 macrumors newbie

I've the same problem with my MacPro 5,1 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Xeon W3530 when I use firefox and acrobat 9 pro. those thin horizontal lines are annoying when I use acrobat 9 pro to check documents @ 400%.

anyone have an idea how can I get rid of those lines? :confused:

8. madelyn thread starter macrumors newbie

is this actually a problem with the graphics card or is this more software related?

i might sound like a litlparanoid here, but another thing i noticed yesterday:

when i'm in finder using "cover flow" mode and when i go trough all the different blue folders there are litl white pixels appearing/blinking above the icons. is there anyone having the same thing?

can't help it but you pay more attention when you think there's something wrong with the graphics, now i start seeing all kinds of things :D

appreciate all the help guys