Horizontal Lines on my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Crvntscndy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Crvntscndy macrumors newbie

Hi I recently bought a iMac G5 20" model number A1207. The problem is that sometimes a horizontal line or two appear on the screen and it has been freezing.

PS, and when I boot it in safe mode they don't appear.

It's running on snow leopard 2.16 ghz intel core duo with a 1 gb MHz ddr2 sdram

2. ConnieSales macrumors newbie

Horizontal Lines

I have the same problem. I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and it seems to have gotten worse. The lines seem to worsen when playing videos of any kind, and also when using Skype and Garageband. I suspect it's a software glitch. I would appreciate any help as to how to correct this, everything is perfect otherwise!

Thanks,
    Connie

3. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Have you all tried to reset the PRAM? There are instructions on Apple Support pages on how to do it, according to your iMac models.

Also please note this Apple discussion thread:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2389074?start=0&tstart=0

You may just have to make an appointment with the Genius bar.

My parents' Intel Core Duo iMac had the vertical lines issue a couple months after it was out of warranty. Couldn't get it repaired unless we paid for a new replacement display. We hooked it up to another LCD monitor and the iMac worked just fine for another couple years --until we wanted to update the OS to Leopard. Couldn't update using a separate monitor and the iMac screen was completely obscured by lines then.

We called Apple Support and they were great, told us to bring it to our Apple store for a free replacement display panel. It's worked well ever since.

So it's definitely worth calling them if the PRAM reset or the Apple Hardware Test discs don't help.

Good luck!