Horizontal Lines plus chaos. Apple Tech said I had to wait on an Engineer.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tomasmekean, May 1, 2009.

1. Tomasmekean macrumors member

Please take a look at these photos and tell me what you think. I thought it was Video card. I have had it replaced twice already. Running Leopard 10.5.6. Geforce 8600 GT.

Attached Files:

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

yes, it is most likely the video card. get it replaced again or ask for a unibody MBP!

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Uninformed AppleCare agent. MacBook Pro + 8600M GT + any problems = faulty 8600M GT (very strong chance!) so I don't know why you need to wait. Call again, hopefully you'll get someone a little bit more informed.

4. Tomasmekean thread starter macrumors member

Was told by Tech agent at apple that the last time they fixed the notebook that a different chipset was used that fixed the issue with the 8600 GT. So they are waiting until the Engineers review all log files before they will do anything with the notebook. It is working at this moment but for the last two weeks I am have the problems you see above in the pics. I am waiting for them to come back and say that the problem is WoW and that I do not need to play. When I purchased the notebook and didn't come with a WoW exclusion. Another problem is that I have to wait until Friday before they will tell me what they are going to do... Repair, Replace, or just Tough S**T. I still have 415 days left on apple care.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Still, it doesn't make sense or a difference. By default, it's already a hardware issue but of course Apple wants to waste time so they'll do pointless troubleshooting. If I were you, I would do an Archive/Install or any reinstall of some sort because they'll want to say it could be software. Once you've done that, there's no other troubleshooting needed - it's hardware, get it repaired.

6. Tomasmekean thread starter macrumors member

Well waste time they have.. it is now Thursday and still haven't received word. Per Saul in tech support it would only take 24 to 48 hours to come to a conclusion to what step to take next. I left messages yesterday and haven't received a reply.

7. John89 macrumors regular

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I believe that 3 issues with a component means that apple will declare the machine a lemon and send you a new one. The usual mantra: 'polite but firm' and ask for a replacement. Seriously, at this stage unless they suspect user misuse, the replacement should have been an automatic offer.

9. Tomasmekean thread starter macrumors member

After not receiving a phone call today from the apple tech I called in my self. A new tech just said that a update to OSX will be released tomorrow and I need to wait and install the update and see if this will fix my problem. I mean this is BS! I used to say that Apple has the best tech support and stand behind the product that they sell. Looks like things might be changing.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

LOL. I don't think they realize that you have the early-2008 MacBook Pro and not the unibody. Let's just say 10.5.7 gets released tomorrow, that's not going to help. I'd say call in again and hopefully you get someone more competent. (LOL wait for update tomorrow...)

11. Tomasmekean thread starter macrumors member

Well I spoke with two apple techs today. The first said yes please wait for a apple software upgrade that will address some of my issues. The other apple agent called and I am not longer able to talk about this case. I will close this thread. Thanks again and I Hope everyone is able to fix the issues that they have.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Unfortunately, you got jerked around. Sadly, the first agent is just reading the notes of the other agent (too lazy to do work) and the second one, well, I have no idea what he's doing - he doesn't have the right to "tell you" you can't talk about this issue anymore, they don't close case numbers. I'd just wait for the "update" for the 8600M GT, find out it doesn't work, call back and mock the agent for being stubborn.

13. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

After reading through the 8600GT threads and their screen captures, this looks totally like a GPU issue.

The only thing that apple has done in these updates is make the fan spin hard at the drop of the hat. Sometimes I can't even turn it off without rebooting.