Horrendous rMBP 15 battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NowhereOutThere, Oct 19, 2013.

1. NowhereOutThere macrumors member

I purchased a Rev B rMBP in April, and the battery life was stellar at first; lately, I've noticed that the battery life has plummeted to get about 3 hours of use (the time remaining prediction given when clicking the battery icon is incredibly wrong), and I am not running any intensive apps to try and alleviate the situation (Chrome is probably the most CPU-intensive app I am using at this point). It is really starting to impede my use of the machine, so I need to do something. I've been thinking about doing a fresh install of ML, as I have already tried doing an SMC/PRAM reset (to no avail). Coconut battery says I have only gone through about 130 battery cycles and I still have 97% battery capacity, so going to the Genius Bar would not help. Any thoughts or helpful tips would be welcome.

2. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

You might want to check what other processes you have running on your computer in the background. Chrome for example, runs a process every day checking for new updates (maybe even reporting home to Google?) If any software you use happen to be doing such a thing, then you may want to remove. Might also check console to see if theres anything there that might be doing it too.

3. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Install gfxCardStatus to see if any programs are keeping the dGPU switched on, and if so which ones are doing it. For example, on my old 17" (2010) running Chrome at all switches the dGPU on and kills the battery life.

4. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Would be nice if Mavericks just included something like gfxCardStatus as part of the OS to be able to do the same thing.