horrible activation problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Charliekid21, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Charliekid21 macrumors regular

i installed vmware fusion just to see what it was like with my bootcamp partition to see the speed and things. well then it tells me my hardware has changed alot or something and i have 3 days left to reactivate, wtf!! ihavent chaged anything and got rid of vmware plz help!!!!!!

2. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

I had the same problem.

What happened is, the default system configuration for a VMWare virtual machine and the physical configuration of the Mac differ greatly.

The raw configuration of the Mac has two processors, all the physical memory, a larger hard drive, and a good video card. The hardware configuration of the virtual machine has only one processor, around half the Mac's physical memory, and a lesser video card. Windows thinks it's being started, and therefore installed, on two different machines.

Make the configuration of the VM as close to the configuration of the Mac as possible. Especially, select two processors for the VM. I think that differing numbers of processors was the red flag for Windows. Then, install VMWare Tools on the Virtual Machine. This will change the video card and make it less likely that Windows will want to reactivate.

However, even though you're back to Boot Camp alone, it still remembers the changes. You may have to reactivate anyways.

When I reactivated, I did it by telephone. Windows created a long machine-specific number for the Boot Camp installation of Windows running in VMware. I read the number into the phone, and the Microsoft system read back another number, which I typed into the activator. I also answered a few other questions. I don't remember what most of them were, but I remember confirming that the motherboard of the computer hadn't changed. It was all voice recognition in English and there was no human involved.

Even so, I've only booted Windows outside Boot Camp once more since I reactivated it.

I think that, ideally, MS would like us to buy two Windows licenses. one for the VM and one for the Boot Camp partition. The VM and the Boot Camp installation could then have significantly-different hardware configurations as well. I'm not sure whether there's a way to switch between the two different hardware configurations using the Hardware Manager in Windows.

I believe that the XP EULA permits installing on a VM; I'm not sure about this bouncing back and forth between hardware configurations though.

3. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

thankyou soo much for all of the help but somehow everything just kinda fell in place and it reactivated for me this time? idk y but im happy it did =D

4. framer macrumors newbie

Same here

I had the same problem/message. Phoning is the easiest (only?) way to fix things up. Annoying but simple. (Is that a descriptor for Windows????)

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Never had that problem on XP in Fusion or Parallels w/ Boot Camp. Only with Vista and parallels (but not fusion)