Horrible Apple Support - Exchange may be broken, but nobody listens!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nm1213, Jul 29, 2008.

1. nm1213 macrumors newbie

I have a support case open with Apple, but they are absolutely useless. I got past first line support in a day (despite the promised callback that never happened). Second line support took about an hour, but the Enterprise support person refused to talk to me until I got my exchange admin on the phone. Is this even realistic? I work for a large company, with exchange servers all over the world. There is no one exchange admin, but they would not listen. I finally got somebody on the phone and we had a conference call.

My issue is basically:

 Iphone 3g, pushes email while turned on, and while plugged in. It will continue to push email in sleep mode for a few minutes if unplugged. After a few minutes, push just stops working until the device is powered on again. At this point, all the backlogged mail comes streaming through.
     To troubleshoot, I’ve tried restoring (without backup), resetting my exchange account info, using a different exchange provider (mail2web), turning the 3g and wifi radios off. All have these have not led to success. I’ve also moved mailboxes to a different exchange server, and removed my mobile profile via OWA.
     However, when using a borrowed first gen iphone, everything works fine. I do not have another 3g phone to test with.

I explained this to enterprise support but they said they would go away and forward this around internally. However, I may have to pay for support from here on. I just want to talk shop with somebody about the issue. I am familiar with activesync, both from a user and vendor perspective. My WM5/6 phones have pushed mail for about 2 years perfectly fine. However, Apple seems completely clueless and unwilling to listen.

The issue is exactly the same as described here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=332362&page=4

With the HTC device, a regkey setting fixed it, but how the heck can this be fixed via Apple’s implementation? Nobody technical at Apple is willing to even listen, and the consumer people are polite enough, but this is way over their head.

Where to go next?!

N.

2. nm1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

We have iPhone users on three different Exchange Servers all working fine.

Could it be a problem with your exchange configuration?

4. nm1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought also, but my account works fine on a iphone 2g... and the settings are identical.

5. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I'd lean towards an issue with the Exchange config. We have over a dozen users using Exchange AS push with the iPhone and they all work just fine. What version of Exchange are you running?

6. nm1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exchange 2007 sp1. I can't make any changes to exchange, as other users are also using iphones just fine. Also, I work for a large company, so they can't just change stuff around. :)

N.

7. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Hmm .. we are also on Exch 2007 SP1 and have had no issues like the ones you describe.

This could be an issue with the device losing the heartbeat connection.
    There are firewall settings that can have an effect as well. http://support.microsoft.com/KB/905013

From what you've described, it seems to be something other than the device.

And remember, while Apple licensed ActiveSync they didn't implement the full featureset, so this could be software-related specific to the setup of your company's Exchange ActiveSync environment.

8. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I used to have this happen occasionally while I was using MobileMe for push email where it wouldn't push emails overnight so when I first used it during the morning, actually come to think of it I think it was when I first used anything data related on the iPhone it would push all emails received while I was sleeping. However it didn't do this every time as there was plenty of times I'd hear that annoying ding throughout the night.

9. ckbook macrumors member

Horrible Apple Support???? Are you serious?

Apple has nothing to do with the configuration exchange server. Nor do they have anything to do with the data that is being used to connect to your exchange server. Please don't bash apple for things they do not support.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Actually, Apple does have control over the configuration in the phone and that may very well be where the problem lies.

I see conflicting information here though:
    1) The 3G iPhone works find on another server (Mail2Web).....see edit below
    2) The original iPhone works fine on his company's server

What I'd like to know from those admins here saying they have users working fine on E2K7 SP1 is how many of you have 3G iPhone users working?

I have to agree, it does should like a heartbeat issue, but why would this differ from the original iPhone to the 3G iPhone if the firewall/server config is consistent?

Edit: I re-read the original post and it sounds like the problem follows the 3G iPhone to the other server (Mail2Web.) If this is the case, the problem is something in the 3G iPhone.....and therefore responsibility of Apple support.

11. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Mine gets e-mails pushed to it overnight while I leave it plugged in and sleeping.

I cut off manual checking completely. All of my e-mail is push and there are always messages waiting for me when I wake up at 10 am.

Pretty sure we're on Exchange 2k3 currently, though.

12. nm1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Geckotek:

Exactly! The problem follows the 3g phone around... while the original iphone seems to be stable. Also, i've been pushing to my WM6 phone for 2 years now, and that serverside install was also upgraded to E2k7SP1.

What I've done now is set up a dummy yahoo account and set it to fetch every 15 minutes. Maybe this will prevent the phone from going into deep sleep and keep exchange direct push alive.

The HTC Kaiser had this exact problem on launch, and it turned out to be a bum activesync implementation specifically with the 3g radio. Maybe this is the same issue?

Andrmgic,

Try to leave the phone unplugged overnight and see if it still pushes through the night. When I leave mine plugged in, but asleep, it does work perfectly. This is all the more reason it is a handset issue and not firewall settings.

N.