Horrible battery life - what's wrong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by juice, Jun 30, 2009.

1. juice macrumors newbie

My battery worked fine for a week. I have everything turned on, only push app is AP news. I've restarted the phone and it still drains. I leave my phone in the car during the day and noticed it gets pretty warm (car is in a cool garage).

43 minutes of usage, 9.5 hours of standby and the battery is at 33%.

IMG_0364.PNG

2. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

Have you tried not leaving it in the car? If you have your 3G off and no push notifications coming thru, and you still have that problem, I'd go right to an Apple Store. My $0.02.

3. zrbecker macrumors member

I always found my battery meter relatively inaccurate. When it tells me 25% it usually lasts about as long as the first 75% did.

Though, I would bring it to a store if it happened too often.

4. juice thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, meant to include this picture.

Attached Files:

5. thecellar macrumors regular

turn everything off...no need to have it on in the car. Your phone is probably searching for wifi, 3g, etc. aall day, and i doubt you have it in your car.and check your email fetch settings turn to manual or hourly)

6. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

You shouldn't have to turn everything off to get good standby numbers. People don't know what they're talking about.

But for real, it's probably your car. Heat is a huge power waster in batteries and cars get far hotter than the ambient temperature.

7. juice thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the replies, but maybe I should have given a little more history.

I've had an iphone 2g for 2 years and I've done the same thing every day and never had a problem. Battery would drain to about 80-85% sitting in the car.
    After I got the 3GS I did the same thing and had no problems for a week. The last 2 days I've had the problem. I thought yesterday was a fluke, turned the phone off, charged it up last night, and the same thing happened today. Nothing has changed except for updated apps (no new apps).

Car is in a cool garage so it doesn't get hot.

Phone has 5 bars on 3g.

The past two days the battery has drained and the phone is noticeably warm. Much warmer than the car.

The phone is obviously doing something to waste the battery and get warm. If my 2g lasted 2 years with no problems, why is the 3GS having problems with the same settings? I doubt anyone has the answer, but just wondering if people have seen something similar.

8. scottmizo macrumors newbie

I have had this happen a couple of times with my 3G. The only way I found to fix it was by resetting the network settings.

Scott

9. juice thread starter macrumors newbie

Scott - Thanks for the reply. I reset my network settings last night and today after 51 minutes of usage and 7 hours 12 minutes of standby sitting in the car the battery is at 82% which is pretty close to what I was getting last week with my 3GS and what I've experienced over the past 2 years with my 2g.

Not sure why it helped, but it seems to have fixed it!

10. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

How do you get the option to turn on the battery percentage like in the screenshot above? Is that only for Jailbroken phones or something? I don't have that option on my iPhone.

11. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

iPhone 3GS only.

12. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

13. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

It's in a cool garage, that's not the problem. Maybe he's working in a shop and doesn't want to get it dirty or something.

14. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

In the help forum there's a method to get battery logging setup; try that