Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aggreenvln

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Hello,

I've had my MBP 17" 2.16 gHz for 6 months or so and I've been using it for gaming (mainly WoW). I recently decided to try to overclock my video card a bit on my windows xp partition, so I started looking around on the internet for resources. I downloaded Ati OmegaDrivers and overclocked to the recommended specs. It works fine, no overheating or anything, but when I was looking around on the internet I noticed that everyone else's specs seemed to be lightyears above mine. At default clock speeds, playing WoW on my OSX partition with medium graphics settings I get maybe 15-20 FPS. I thought it would get better when I switched to windows and overclocked some, but it hasn't. Even overclocked i'm still only getting 17-22 FPS with the same graphics settings. This was quite disturbing as I had read multiple threads about people getting upwards of 60 FPS with maximum graphics settings on OSX with no overclocking on the exact same machine I have! Mine isn't even half this, overclocked to 500/525 with medium graphics settings! To make things worse, I also read about overclocked benchmarks being around the 4500 range, and when I ran my benchmark it topped out at about 2300, overclocked! Is my MBP gimped? Am I doing something wrong?

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Hello,

I've had my MBP 17" 2.16 gHz for 6 months or so and I've been using it for gaming (mainly WoW). I recently decided to try to overclock my video card a bit on my windows xp partition, so I started looking around on the internet for resources. I downloaded Ati OmegaDrivers and overclocked to the recommended specs. It works fine, no overheating or anything, but when I was looking around on the internet I noticed that everyone else's specs seemed to be lightyears above mine. At default clock speeds, playing WoW on my OSX partition with medium graphics settings I get maybe 15-20 FPS. I thought it would get better when I switched to windows and overclocked some, but it hasn't. Even overclocked i'm still only getting 17-22 FPS with the same graphics settings. This was quite disturbing as I had read multiple threads about people getting upwards of 60 FPS with maximum graphics settings on OSX with no overclocking on the exact same machine I have! Mine isn't even half this, overclocked to 500/525 with medium graphics settings! To make things worse, I also read about overclocked benchmarks being around the 4500 range, and when I ran my benchmark it topped out at about 2300, overclocked! Is my MBP gimped? Am I doing something wrong?

If you cannot answer the last question, you should not be messing with your machine. It is always dangerous to tinker with technology beyond your understanding.

aggreenvln

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I understand perfectly well what I'm doing, and I won't exceed my machine's limits. I'm wondering if there could be any reason my specific machine is not up to par with others that are supposedly "the same" or if they just know something I don't that is giving them twice the performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.