Horrible... (eBay experience)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by riskybusiness, Jan 28, 2008.

1. riskybusiness macrumors newbie

I bought Call of Duty 4 recently off eBay from a seller who sad that it had never been used before so I was paying extra for a particular item when I could have gotten the same item used for a lot cheaper. I bought mine for about 40$. The condition that it arrived in looked like it was worth about 15$. It had been opened and it was taped shut with duct tape and there was the CD case with a booklet inside a cardboard box split in half, with the CD case bouncing around. The corners were al dented up and broken. Take a look:
    http://web.mac.com/matthewcdavey/Site/Bad_Call_of_Duty_Package.html
    WARNING: DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER
    Is there something I can do to make others aware or something besides leaving negative feedback? I am really pissed at this person for lying. There has to be something I can do...?

2. McGiord, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The topic is out of place in the forum, however I think you can have a dispute, but first stress the situation with the seller first, like send an email and call them. Creating a dispute will give them some time to respond to your claim. If you paid via paypal you can also create a dispute.

Well, you like doing risky business...don't you? You know what you are doing, right?
    ________
    Groove

3. Polaris69 macrumors newbie

I seldom deal with Ebay because I believe in the old adage that you get what you pay for. Items advertised cheap often carry problems that are not cheap and will cost you far more than monetary damages. I agree with the above poster, give them a negative rating, explain in detail what happened so that future buyers are aware. Email the seller and request a full refund for the item. Initiate a dispute with both Ebay and Paypal if he/she does not offer refund in full.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

It's a shame when this happens, 99% of the people who use eBay are honest and this just tarnishes the whole thing.

Make sure you report the seller, get a dispute going and stuff.

5. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Demand your money back as the original seals are broken.

Otherwise, you're SOL if you want to go on the internet with it, since chances are the sellers using the key and a copied disc.

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Excuse me? I use eBay for buying and selling a lot and have not had a problem. If your smart about it you shouldn't have a problem.

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

/signed

cmon, seriously, you DO get what you pay for, but if its too good to be true, it probably is.

in this case, the only thing that bugs me is the duct tape?

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've never had a problem with eBay, either.

I'm with Markleshark on this one. I believe most eBayers are honest. Actually, I believe most eBayers are honest, but only if you completely exclude the truly obvious scams. Out of all the eBay auctions that sound like they could be authentic, they usually are.

I just bought 2 items on eBay. Wish me luck. ;)

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

^^^^ Ditto.

I buy a lot of stuff on ebay and have never had a problem. I tend to buy from sellers with a lot of good feedback, just like I don't buy stuff in 'real life' from blokes on street corners ;)

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm currently awaiting paypal's decision on a similar matter (though it was for a $332 phone that was listed as mint and came in horrible shape). I say contact the seller and ask for a refund. Be nice and polite about it.

If he refuses, say you'll need to make a claim with paypal.

They'll review the case and see if you get a full or partial refund.

Since it's software... I'd probably go with a partial refund (that COD4 in that shape would probably still go for 32-35). UNLESS it's serial has been used online. Then it would be worthless.

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I have never had an issue with eBay except one time when I bought a wheel center (the part that covers the middle of an alloy wheel) and the guy accidentally sent the wrong sized one, he sent the correct one at no charge.

I do find it disturbing how many people are out there that will tell you anything just so that you'll buy from them.

13. Polaris69 macrumors newbie

I would much rather pay people directly and know what I am getting as opposed to an item published by a complete stranger who lives in a different state or country. You always pay a price when you are looking for bargain merchandise and while there are honest people the majority are out to make a buck at any cost. This leaves you with a broken piece of merchandise, loss of money amongst numerous added frustrations of having to go through disputes which guarantee nothing. Two days ago Leopard 10.5 DVD (full-retail) going for $35. Of course there are many naive people who believe that you can still get something for nothing.:rolleyes: