Horrible Experience with 2016 MBP w/Touchbar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gennacide, Feb 26, 2017.

1. gennacide macrumors newbie

Apple’s Decline in Production Quality and

Customer Service – The Failed Attempt at a Macbook Pro Refresh

I recently purchased one of Apple’s brand new MacBook Pro 13” with the fancy new “revolutionary” touch bar. I went with the fully loaded version; Intel i7 processor, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB SSD. Totaling out at a whopping $2899 (before tax), I was super excited to receive my ultra-performance, top of the line machine. Little did I know, this would turn into and epic saga of extreme aggravation and disappointment.

Let’s begin with strike 1. The sales associated who assisted me over the phone had mentioned that she caught an error with my shipping zip code and had corrected it. Well, it turns out that “corrected” meant transposed two digits and shipped it to the completely wrong city 300 miles across the state. I had to call Apple 4 times to get a straight answer if my expensive purchase would be in the hands of some lucky person. They eventually straightened it out and I received my MacBook only 1 day later than promised. The agent was at least kind enough to refund the $14 expedited fee that I paid extra for.

Two days into using my freshly custom built machine I noticed a rather irritating “feature,” the case was warped. Whenever I went to rest your palm on the right side of the trackpad to type, the entire thing would wobble. My initial thought was “hmmm… it must be my desk.” I tried multiple surfaces and to my surprise, the case was warped to the point of it wobbling. STRIKE 2.

I spoke with a very helpful Manager in Apple’s after sales support who offered me an advanced replacement (they send me a new MacBook and I send mine back after I get the new one). This was rather irritating to have to deal with as I just spent hours setting up my new machine, but I was thankful to have been given that option and gladly accepted it.

A week later, my replacement arrived. I got it all setup (which takes me about 3-4 hours…I have a lot of software that I use). As I go to close the lid, after my lengthy setup process, my finger is cut open by a nick in the case. I was in shock. A second, brand new MacBook with another case defect. I was ready to explode in frustration. I immediately contacted the same support manager who helped me with the first replacement. He offered me a second advanced replacement and we got it all worked out. I was still mad as hell, but I wanted what I paid for.

Another week goes by and my replacement arrives. I go through my 4-hour process of getting it all configured and loaded up. This time I notice that my screen is very warm, my keyboard is ultra-sensitive, and the haptic feedback in my trackpad is super weak. To top that all off, my graphics processing unit is completely defective. I was doing a PowerPoint presentation for a customer and a bunch of green lines and flashing black boxes start popping up all over my presentation. I looked like a fool! Yet again, another defective one. STRIKE 3!!! I am so angry that I am just about to take this thing out back and make one of those “smash my really expensive brand new electronic” video that those idiots put on YouTube. I call up my new “manager” pal at Apple support. This time things are not so “easy.” Mr. Manager informs me that I am unable to get an advanced replacement due to the fact that it has been over 30 days since my original purchase and according to their policy, they are unable to provide me with an advanced replacement. I fought with the guy for a week, hoping that they would make an exception since my case was a special circumstance. They wouldn’t budge. I was told that the best they could do was offer me a $200 discount and I would have to mail mine back first before they would ship me another one. I know that could sound reasonable to most, but my laptop is my lively hood. I use it daily for my 9-5 job as well as my photography/videography side business. Not having my laptop means not making money. Plus, why should I be even slightly inconvenienced because Apple can’t seem to keep their quality control up to the standards that a laptop with a $2899 price tag should have.

After spending time with multiple 13” MacBook Pros, I have concluded that Apple has multiple manufacturers for their displays, keyboards, and track pad haptic engines, and graphics processing units. There are 2 versions of each. One version is good and one is GARBAGE.

In addition to all of this, my wife has the base model 13” MacBook Pro w/touch bar and has the same graphic issues as well. We now must take hers to apple for a logic board replacement that will take up to 4 days to complete.

In summary, Apple has tried very hard to make a new MacBook Pro, but has failed miserably. There a many defects and inconsistencies in hardware in addition to a battery that lasts nowhere near the advertised 10 hours. It’s more like 4-5 in the real world. I strongly urge you to NOT PURCHASE the new MacBook Pro line. They seemed to have jumped the gun and released a product that wasn’t fully ready. Honestly, I don’t think I will every buy another Apple product every again after the poor level of customer service and overall build quality of this “top of the line” laptop. That new Surface Book from Microsoft is looking pretty good right about now.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Sorry about your travails. Hope you find a more suitable machine.

3. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

My first one is perfect in every respect. No issues at all. 15" maxed out, $4k laptop, and worth every penny.

You do realize that a time machine backup will load to your new computer EXACTLY how your previous one was? Takes me literally 5 minutes to set up a new Mac, and maybe an hour for it to run through the install, which is no problem because I just do something else during that time.

4. caramelpolice macrumors regular

As far as the GPU in the 13" Pro goes, there's only one possible source from those, and it's Intel - same as practically every other Intel-based PC on the market. They all get made in the same Intel fabs.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Sorry you had so many problems, but it's not necessarily indicative of an underlying problem: it's a mass produced product and unfortunately issues will occur

My BTO 13" arrived on time and is perfect: I wouldn't extrapolate my experience to say every one will be perfect any more than a bad experience can be extrapolated to say every one is bad

As it happens, I bought a surface book last year and had no end of issues with it: that doesn't necessarily mean they're all bad though :)

6. darkmaxdevil macrumors member

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I myself have the exact same laptop, fortunately, I experience none of what you went through. It's been two months now and seem like it's going strong. Hope you got sorted out soon.

7. leman macrumors 604

Sorry to hear about your bad experience! We have about a dozen of new models by now (both 13" and 15", mix of configurations), every one is flawless. Battery life is excellent (one of the 13" had issues, which were fixed by the latest OS X update)

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Dual parts sourcing for machines is certainly an area where even the best Makers can run into struggles to provide consistency across individual specimens, but on mass production items there often are not other options. Even if the parts are dual sourced, that doesn't excuse the issues you had. Some of the issues people are experiencing are completely unacceptable, especially at the higher pricing. I'm sorry you had to deal with those issues, and hope you sent Apple feedback to let them know of your experience. They have a really good product design (I like mine), and it sounds like support tried hard to fix the issue, but the failure in quality assurance prevented your issue from being resolved. It doesn't do the brand justice and it certainly isn't fair to you.

I'm guessing you already have this, but just in case
    https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

(if they do follow up, it may be worth giving them one more chance to make it right :))

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Case defects aren't acceptable. Agree 100% with that. That said, I think the other issues (which it seems mostly related to PowerPoint) seem to be software-related, especially if the identical issue is cropping up on two different machines.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry to see you deal with such issues :(

I too would be frustrated by the number of problems, it seems a warped case isn't all that unusual (not that you should put up with it), but cutting your finger, is surprising. I would have hoped the QC checks they did would have caught that.

11. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

12. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

$2,900 for a spec'd out 13"? I paid $3,200 for the 15" 2.9 Pro 460 1TB version ...

For that price I'd have probably been upset too

Actually, I had almost the exact same thing happen to me recently, only with the new late 2016 Razer Blade Pro... only they refused to do an advanced replacement unless I temporarily "bought" a 2nd unit... and wouldn't even OFFER it until the 3rd defective unit.

13. Swisspo macrumors regular

Swisspo

That is probably some of the worst luck I've ever seen. Thankfully mine was defective free! My head would've been spinning with those kind of repeated issues. Terribly sorry friend! I hope everything works out for you.!

14. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Sure Apple sucks
    Millions Sold to Satisfied customers
    Stores Everywhere with Live Support people
    Telephone Support that is actual empowered to do something about your problem
    Best of luck Shopping at Acer Asus Hp Microsoft Samsung Toshiba etc.......

15. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

You are having some very bad luck. But next time, set up your computer once and make a Time Machine backup. Then for any new computer, restore from backup. It takes maybe 15 minutes from a nice SSD or otherwise half an hour to an hour, depending on your amount of data.

16. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    To be fair, OP didn't mention an older Mac, so this could be the first one or one he wanted to set up differently. They didn't think their second replacement would also be defective, so it's not that big a deal to set it up again. Further issues it isn't clear whether it was hardware or software and I wouldn't want to restore from a bad backup. Yes, it sucks, but I don't think it was the obvious thing to do in this situation.

For what it's worth, my new 15 Pro has been fantastic so far and I've only had one minor hardware issue in 20 years of owning Macs, but I certainly feel really bad for the OP in this situation.

17. realpras macrumors regular

realpras

I'm really sorry for you, but you're still luckier than those (including me) who live in countries that don't have Apple Store. There'll be no such things such as swapping, returning or any other privileges the customers can usually do at Apple Stores :)

18. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

I read some seriously WILD stories here. Somehow people get not one, not two, but THREE or even FOUR bad machines?

It hardly seems possible. I bough 2 of the 13" and 1 of the 15" and between my friends and I we've bought roundabouts 30 machines and not a SINGLE problem with any of them except a glass of wine killing one completely.

Now Apple is selling gazillions of these things, so I guess someone has bad luck and others may even have CRAZY bad luck, but still, the math is clear. These are rare issues. This forum seems to be a focal point for these issues as I'm on other forums and see far fewer issues.

Anyway, my sympathy is extended to the OP. That's some wicked bad luck, but that's all it is. Most others are having a blast with these laptops.

R.

19. sapibobo macrumors newbie

sapibobo

Ah i share the same feeling of this. No return, swap or whatever in my country aswell. If you got the lemon, you will need at least 3-4 months to get it replaced.

20. realpras macrumors regular

realpras

I'm from Indonesia too but live in New Zealand :) I feel you, bro. It's even worse in Indonesia than in NZ. Here at least we have Apple Online Store so we can buy stuff and get 1-day delivery (incl. services & repairs) but not there. And the price from the authorised resellers there is so ridiculously expensive.

But still, no elevated privileges such as swapping iPhone cases as you like.

Fun Fact: NZ is also the first country to have a new product release (not Aussie - we're 2 hours ahead of them at least) as we're the first in the world to welcome a new day! :D

21. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

22. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

I've got two 2016 15" MBPs and both have been missing keystrokes with their new keyboards.

23. pst23 macrumors 6502

What do you mean by missing keystrokes? I am trying to decide if I want to buy this new machine and the mixed reviews are concerning.

24. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

What size is your hard drive ? The time it takes depends on how much data your are moving. My 1TB machine takes longer than an hour to run through install, though I've never actually timed it. I can well understand the OP's frustration if he had to do this 3 or 4 times in a few days / week or two.

25. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

Meaning 1 particular key is sometimes not registering a keystroke.

On one MacBook, if I would type 51515151515151 in rapid succession (i.e. I'd type 5, then another character, then 5 again repeatedly), then the screen displays 51515111511151115111.