Horrible experience with iPhone 4 lines today.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Jun 24, 2010.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Me and a few of my friends had arrived at a local mall today in the morning. When we got there, there was already a fairly long line before the mall even opened. The mall opened at 6am and the Apple Store at 7am.

The lines were split into two between the Reserves and Non reserves and for every 5 reserves that got into the store, 1 unreserve would be allowed in. This seemed and WAS extremely aggravating. I will touch on that in a bit.

When we had all got in line inside of the mall, a Apple employee had made it clear to us that he could not say how many iPhones they had for "unreserved" customers and that they would let us know ahead of time if they were getting low on stock.

Fast forward to about 4 hours later, another Apple employee had started telling us that they were "extremely low on stock" and started making cut-offs for who would be able to buy one. We were then put on a "priority" list for if some of the reserved iPhones were not picked up that day. The word was that the priority people would have "priority" the following day on unsold reserved iPhones.

They continued to let the people beyond the cut-off wait in line and me and my friends continued to wait. Obviously theres always a chance for error and we were the first 10 people that were after the cut-off.

We finally got to the front of the store and it seemed for a while that we would actually get a phone. Well we were wrong. 7 and a half hours into the line, they finally got someone out of the Apple Store to CONFIRM that we wouldn't receive one.

The employees were not sympathetic towards the people who were there since the early morning. They did not apologize and offer condolence that we were SOL. They had a gray area explanation for the "priority list" for the people after the cut off. The worst part about it is that some of the people that were told they would get one (the ones ahead of the cut-off) did not get one either.

They were not lacking employees either. They clearly had some employees allocated inside of the store to service customers and some allocated to the outside to answer questions and keep people informed. In my opinion, those outside employees did a pretty crappy job at keeping people informed.

I called the store about 2 hours ago and wanted them to explain to me the "priority list" and apparently this list has nothing to do with being able to buy one of the reserved phones which was not picked up today. It was just a means of making people think that they would have a chance to get one tomorrow but instead it's just another reservation for a later shipment. The employee told me that any left-over phones would be on a first-come first-serve basis tomorrow morning to the general public.

They could have had a even ratio for letting people into the store for reserved/unreserved to cut the waiting time by a good 3-4 hours. There was no reasonable explanation as to why they gave the reserved line such a large shortcut over the unreserved line. Reserved phones had not been paid for ahead of time. It didn't really make sense.

2. army91c macrumors 6502a

Sorry, not trying to be an ass but boo hoo. Why didn't you reserve one? I know pre-order may not of been an option but reserving one was an easy thing to do..... now I know lots will say they tried all day blah blah blah but I downloaded the Apple store app and first time through boom, reservation. Now I know YMMV.

Sorry but why do you feel apple owes you anything? How are they supposed to know how many phones they will have available (not picked up reserves) or even how many pick up phones they would have for x amount of people. You could get one per account, maybe every person in front of you had 4 people on their account, there is no way for the store to know which in turn makes it impossible for them to tell you how many may get the phone. I know it suck that you waited so long for nothing but that's the breaks. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, next time you know to pre-order or reserve to guarantee you get a phone.

Why should they of let an even ratio through the door? My apple store wasn't (I was number 8 in line for reserves ;) ) but we where flying through the door and walk ins were pretty stagnant.

3. ashVID macrumors regular

Makes perfect sense. A reservation means something. If you got 100 phones and knew you had 90 reservations, why would you let them in at the same time? Many stores were 20 or even 50:1 and rightfully so. They can't tell you how many extra because they have no idea how many people who reserved will actually show up.

I posted several days ago that the best bet for a walk-up phone without hours and hours in line was at the open of day 2. You gambled and lost, nobodies fault but your own.

ash =o)

4. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Your line was lucky. At our store, they were letting in 1 walk-in for every ten with a reservation, and someone else reported a 20-1 ratio.

Spending all that time in line for no phone sucks, but you knew you were taking a chance without a reservation. If you're truly complaining because they didn't apologize, then I have no response. :rolleyes:

5. emaja macrumors 68000

Uhh, because they RESERVED them and you didn't.

6. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

Well it took 7 and a half hours for about 150 people in the unreserved line. So it might have been worse than a 5 to 1 ratio. Apple owes good customer service. Just like any large retailer.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont put yourself in that situation next time then.
    What would a sorry or an Apple employees condolences do anyway?
    Next time preorder or reserve like mentioned above.
    At my local Apple store there was 671 people in line.
    My buddy camped out from 4:30AM and finally got his at 3:30PM
    Its a crazy mess.

8. bloody macrumors member

I don't get how you waiting 7 or so hours in line makes you entitled to an iPhone if you didn't reserve one. Like, honestly, you knew what you were getting yourself into.

9. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

You mentioned that they were constantly coming out with updates. They gave you advanced warning when it was clear they were running low, and offered to put you on a list. They clearly have no control over the number of iPhones they'll be getting in the short term. What more do you want?

Do you want them to fly to China and handcraft more iPhones for you?

10. babby macrumors member

Waited one hour

I showed up at closing at my store. I did not have a reservation. As soon as those with reservations got through the line at closing they then took everyone else who was still in line until they ran out of phones. When I left after waiting in line for about an hour there was no one else in line. About 30 phones were still behind the genius bar for tomorrow morning.

11. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

I got all kinds of comments from the non-reserve line today. It was surprising how pissed off a lot of them were. But those with a reservation deserve to go ahead of the others. We made the effort to lock in our iPhone 9 days ago. You just stroll in expecting the same treatment when you knew about the pre-ordering/reservations beforehand. Call me a jerk or whatever you want, but if the reserved and non-reserved were to be in the same line, what would be the point in reserving at all?

And yes, I know the servers were chaotic that day, but you should have still known you wouldn't be guaranteed a phone by just showing up.

12. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

There's another reason for burning through the reserve lines faster.

Apple told everyone that the reserves were only being held for today. They can either turn away people who reserved because they took too many walk-ins, and get those people angry that they basically lost their reserve... or make the walk-ins angry as they try to burn down the reserve line and make sure everyone who reserved and showed up got theirs.

13. iCHiRS macrumors member

#1: Your first issue was that you arrived in the morning. The line at my local
    mall in Tigard, OR started at 2pm on Wednesday. I got there at 10pm and
    was the 31st person in line. And because I had a reservation and no one
    in front of me had one, I was the 1st in the store.

#2: 5 reserves to 1 non-reserved. How is this aggravating? Like others here
    have said, you should have made a reservation.

Also, this is an iPhone launch. Everybody knows how crazy the lines get when Apple releases the newest handset.

I do, however, hope you're able to get one within the next day or so! You're gonna love it.....

14. iCHiRS macrumors member

I agree! I heard a lot of grumbling in the non-reserve line today. Kinda amusing, actually...:D

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That interesting.
    I dont know if I'd get pissed or just laugh at them while the talk their **** while my line is moving alot faster:D
    What were they saying to you?

16. phas3 macrumors 65816

So wait you're complaining for not getting an iphone today because you didn't reserve an Iphone nor did you get in line early enough to be in front of the walk-in line?

I could care less about the people looking to walk-in and get an iphone, I spent 10 hours pre-order/reserve day to reserve an iphone. I got to my apple store at 3:30AM to make sure I was atleast one of the first 100 reserved customers there. I put the effort in and I got my phone. I even got free coffee, muffins and croissants

17. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Our store did it 50:1 reserved/walkin, and everyone there today went home with a phone. I showed up at 7PM with my reservation and left 10 minutes later. I'm sorry you had an experience that wasn't as smooth.

18. Mx356 macrumors member

Mx356

Exactly. That's the whole reasoning behind the reservations. Everyone used the same system last Tuesday and had the same opportunity to reserve one.

19. actionvaughn macrumors member

actionvaughn

Yeah, our store took one non-reserve for every 50 reservations. My entire wait time was a little less than 14 hours, so...

A guy in our line went on about how unfair it was that reserves got their phones first, wanted employees to lock them out in favor of the non-reserves, asked point blank if it was difficult living with themselves knowing they had made us wait so long, just overall really over-dramatic. He ended up chewing out two employees when he finally got to the front and looked ridiculous doing so.

With that said though, many people did "make an effort" but were shut out of the system or showed up after they canceled a pre-order. Not everyone is simply lazy or obnoxious.

20. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I heard a kid in the non-reserve complaining that people didn't need to be plugging their phone in to the computer to sync their contacts and stuff when they were actually just activating them.

21. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

lol. hey op. i had a reserve phone and waited on line for a total of 2 minutes.

22. Pjstock42 macrumors regular

at the 5th ave store in nyc the people in the non reserve line were talking **** to the reserve people who were flying by them.

I was in the reserve line and heard a ton of comments shouted out towards me and others. any time a non reserve group was let in they would all cheer sarcastically just to be douchebags.

i really dont understand the conflict here. I get that youve been there since 8pm the last night or w/e and are pissed that people are flying by you being in and out within 2/3 hours, but the reserves have to count for something.

even though the system **** the bed, everyone had the same opportunity to get a preorder in. on the 15th i stayed up the entire night only to continue attempting preorders throughout 7 hours of my work day and somehow I had one get through.

just because youve waited in line longer doesnt mean you deserve anything. you knew going in that you were going so early because nothing was gauranteed and you wanted to gain some type of advantage.

23. AlphaE89 macrumors newbie

I didn't reserve and I still got an iphone today, the main reason being, I got in line at midnight and camped out until the store opened and didn't end up getting an iphone until 10am which was so worth the wait. Next time get in line way earlier.

24. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

OP, the reason those of us with reservations should go first is simple: they would only hold our phones until 7PM. I know that I would be livid if I reserved a phone, got in line, didn't make it into the store before 7PM because they were letting non reserves in, and didn't get a phone as a result of that. Apple has to ensure all people with reservations have the opportunity to get in before 7PM. If that means 100 to 1, I don't care. I am sorry about your experience, but reservations have priority, otherwise there is no use in a reservation. BTW I had a reservation and camped out 2 nights to ensure i got a phone and I wasn't even the first reservation in line. If I hadn't had a reservation, I wouldn't have shown up an hour and a half prior to the store opening. I'd have been there 2-3 days in advance. My sympathies are with you, but neither Apple or those of us with reservations owe you anything.

25. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

These situations are exactly why I didn't want to wait in line on Launch Day AGAIN!!! How does anyone owe me an explanation or even an apology for not being able to provide me an iPhone 4; when I didn't pre-order or reserve it in the first place; let alone listen to the multiple news reports or public announcements by AT&T and Apple. I for one don't like to odds of "10-1" or even "20-1" b/c I don't have 7+ hours to waste on a whim or a chance that I might get an iPhone 4 on Launch Day....:eek: