Horrible high pitched squeal on Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tylertech, Aug 10, 2009.

1. tylertech macrumors regular

I just started up my late 2008 unibody MacBook using bootcamp on Windows XP, and the second the desktop showed up, this horrible loud high pitched squeal started emitting from somewhere. It was so loud and I had to cover my ears and back away.

I unplugged the power cable, closed it, and nothing would make it stop until I finally got it to shut down. I happened the next time I tried it as well. It keep going until the whole laptop shut down.

The noise is so high pitched I couldn't even last a few minutes trying to figure out the problem. It doesn't happen on OS X, and I have some files I want to save on the Windows side, but if I need to reinstall I will.

I used my phone to upload a video here, but it's VERY loud so turn down your speaker ;)

Any ideas? :confused:

2. InteriorDEV macrumors member

Shameless bump.

I'm having this exact same problem, only occurs on Windows, not on Snow Leopard. OP's video seems like it's down but the problem he describes is exactly the same.
    I tried reading up on this subject but it seems like very few people have the same problem. I'm going to try reinstalling Windows tomorrow as I kind of need Windows for MW2, will keep you posted.

InteriorDEV.

Edit: I have a 2.4gHz MacBook Pro Unibody.

3. Jottle macrumors 6502

This is probably some crappy driver issue. I had this problem on my pre-unibody macbook pro. It seemed to get better or worse depending on the brightness of the screen. Can you both test to see whether the sound gets noisier or quietere as the screen brightness on you mbp goes up and down?

4. tylertech thread starter macrumors regular

Since then I reinstalled my Windows partition and the constant noise stopped, though the noise due to the screen brightness is still going on, so I have to keep it at full brightness all the time.

5. InteriorDEV macrumors member

Hmm, I guess I'm going to have to backup my files and reinstall then.
    What OS were you running while this happened?

6. tylertech thread starter macrumors regular

I was running Windows XP SP3. I think I just installed a bad driver.

7. InteriorDEV macrumors member

Hmm, I was running Windows 7. Did you try messing around with the sound controls in the control panel/realtek config panel? I created a Stereo Mix channel to record all sound coming from the sound card. I'm afraid that might've caused it.

8. tylertech thread starter macrumors regular

I honestly have no idea because I this happened a while back ago. I even forgot this post existed haha. I just know that reinstalling it worked and I watched what soundcard drivers I installed. I actually think I was trying to stop the noise that occurs when the screen isn't on full brightness, and it just went wrong.