Horrible iPhone 6 Plus Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HelloMikee, Oct 3, 2014.

1. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

So I understanding wanting to bump up the NR on photos in low light but I literally just took this photo in broad daylight with an ISO of 32. There should be absolutely no noise reduction applied to such a low ISO.

Anyone know why it's adding NR to low ISO settings? Here's the 100% crop.

Attached Files:

2. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Might be over agressive local tone mapping, ruining the contrast a bit, there is a few software anomalies with the new cameras,

3. pish6969 macrumors regular

Are your really concerned with your photo. or are you just showing off your girl?

Very attractive..

..the voice of reason

4. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Ouch. Thats really, really bad.

5. HelloMikee thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I'm gay but I agree, she's a looker and definitely concerned about the photo quality hah.

6. pish6969 macrumors regular

You can let her know the voice of reason has given his official stamp of approval!!

..the voice of reason

7. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

8. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

Looks painted :( I honestly hope this gets fixed in iOS 8.1. My 6 is arriving next week :mad:

9. deviant macrumors 65816

Who cares about the stupid iPhone. Give me the girl's number lol.

10. HelloMikee thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Thanks for those. I did see one post awhile back and I had thought the user was zooming creating the smudging.

Really do hope they fix in 8.1. If there's one thing photographers hate, it's overly done noise reduction. I'll take noise over smudge.

The worse part about this though is that it's applied to low ISO settings. That's just not right! lol

11. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Try an app called Cortex Camera! It will blow your mind... Well it will greatly improve image quality as it stacks a short clip of (a lot of photos) and gives amazing results at night. Another fine app is average camera pro! You can't hand hold the phone with that app though. But you can stack up to 128 photos for a noise free image! Cortex Cam or does not offer HDR capabilities, but you can easily raise the levels and make the picture brighter without introducing extra noise because it cancels all the noise out. Give that a try and let us know what you think..

Todd

12. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Cortex can does rule for low light but the NR software for iPhone's native camera needs to be fixed. I don't want to open a separate app just to take a decent picture.

13. pjstrrns macrumors member

Nor do I want to try it out for $3. Image stacking for clarity is ok but for a phone that is supposed to take the best pictures you wouldnt think you would need to do this.

14. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Opening a separate app to take a "Decent picture" doesn't take any longer to open that the camera on the iPhone. You just press the icon.... I'm sorry your camera doesn't perform like it should but you make it sound like you don't have or want to take the time to use a better app. Until then, you will just have to settle until it gets fixed. Besides a $3 app is not that bad... Good luck.

T

15. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

1. I have Cortex Cam and I love it.

2. Can you launch Cortex from the lock screen?

3. How many more photos can I take with the native camera during the time it takes Cortex to process one image? I'm guessing over 20+ photos.

4. Explain to me how paying $2.99 for an app is supposed to help everyone in regards to Apples implementation to noise reduction?

16. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Horrible for such an expensive phone. My friends galaxy S5 takes gorgeous photos. I'm not having much faith in Apple lately.

17. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Something that can no doubt be fixed in iOS updates.

18. Bahroo macrumors 68000

What are you talking about?

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Apple-iPhone-6-and-6-Plus-review-Bigger-and-better.-Apple-set-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

iPhone blows away the S5 in low light espcially

19. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

On launch day when I was standing in line a girl next to me was telling me how lousy the camera in her Galaxy was and was showing me pics on her phone that she was unhappy with because they had bad color or came out blurred. She was in line for the Plus, though neither of us got one that day. Only the 1st 50 people who got into the store came out with anything and I don't know how many of those 50 were there for the Plus. I have my Plus now, via the preorder, which turned out to be the best way to get a hold of one of these. It did take a rather scenic tour of Asia and then zoomed from Alaska to my door in Ohio in 1 day. At any rate this thing takes a good picture.

20. Bahroo macrumors 68000

It takes extremely consistent, overall great image quality photos, snap and shoot, and with using HDR photos come out even better

21. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

So good that even journalists use the iPhone for video and pics.

22. cynics macrumors G4

I'm not seeing the issue. OP maybe a few more sample pics to help illustrate the issue.

23. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Why hello there, OP. :D

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I think your expecting too much from a phone camera. Get a DSLR if you plan to pixel peak.

25. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02