Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MK2FAC3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I have recently (as of last night) been having problems with read and writing with external drives (ie iPod and External Hard Drives).

When I try to import a video via handbrake to iTunes, it says that the drive cannot be read from/written to, and it just happened again while trying to sync my iPod. As far as I know, this isn't always the case as I was able to upload music to my external through iTunes and still am.

If anyone has any help or knowledge of this situation, please let me know, I am dying here!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
1. Rename your thread with a description of your problem :)
2. Back up your data while you can
3. Run Disk Utility from the install CD to repair your drive

See if that helps

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I agree with the Dawg:

From the Forum Rules:

Thread titles. Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.

To change your thread title, click this link, then double-click the white space immediately to the right of the thread title. Then you can change it to something more appropriate and descriptive.

MK2FAC3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Okay, I have found that problem lies within video, I erased all video playback for my iPod Classic, they were podcasts, and now the iPod syncs, but the External still will not behave with video.

If you guys could help, please let me know.

jimleszczynski

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Mount Pleasant, MI
Perhaps I am reading this wrong.. You are trying to import video from your external HD to handbrake? If that is the case I would try importing to your laptop and then using handbrake. May receive better results.

IN ADDITION, after you get all of your data of that external. I would use disk utility to reformat it for your needs and start fresh. I have found that certain external HD's don't work as nicely as they should out of the box.

MK2FAC3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
no, no, I used Handbrake to rip DVDs, when I try to import those files on to iTunes (I have a file on my external for iTunes) it won't copy over. I have tried numerous variations such as saving the Handbrake file on my desktop, etc, but it still won't move to the iTunes folder on my external, and I am having this problem with multiple video files.

For example, I can't get video podcasts to sync with my iPod either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.