HORRIBLE lag in Photoshop with Wacom tablet after Leopard upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PkennethV, Jun 30, 2008.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I tried a really quick google search on this and couldn't find anything, and I'm kind of in a rush to finish off the project in Photoshop so if this is answered somewhere already, please point me me there:)

This has only happened since I've upgraded to Leopard. When I make a stroke with the brush/clone tool (maybe others too...but I haven't used them yet) it would literally take 15-20 for Photoshop to show the stoke/change and the entire program would be unresponsive while waiting.

At first I thought that this was a Photoshop issue so I upgraded from 10.0.0 to 10.0.1 but problem still persists. The I also downloaded the "Leopard (improved)" drivers for the Wacom tablet but that doesn't help either. This lag/unresponsiveness only occurs when using the tablet, when using the trackpad Photoshop is fine.

thanks A LOT to any help.

EDIT: ok, one little thing that I describe incorrectly. The stroke shows as soon has you make it, the lag starts after that. If you make any strokes during that lag period, it won't show until after the lag has "cleared up" (15 secs or so). After that 15 sec period, the program will "unfreeze" until you make the next stroke.

2. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still no one? Well this is happening with the Dodge and Burn tool in Aperture too though the lag isn't quite as bad. Rather than taking 15-20 seconds for anything to happen at all and it all appears at once, the brush stoke lags smoothly behend by about 2 seconds or so. Almost kind of like minimizing a window while holding the shift button -- really slow and smooth.

Also, since I last posted, I've done a COMPLETE re install Leopard and all the apps. Is this a graphics card issue? The CPU is not anywhere near maxed out when this lag occurs. And this is also happening without the tablet now that I try it.

3. momomo macrumors newbie

(System: MBP 2.4 Core2Duo / 10.5.5 / Graphire4)

I had the same problem and found a solution.

I discovered that an entry (for Beam Sync) in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver was missing.

After adding the following lines and a restart, everything works fine now. :D

before:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>CGSInterocitorSelectMode</key>
    	<integer>0</integer>
    	<key>Compositor</key>
    	<dict/>
    	[...]

after:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<integer>0</integer>
    	<key>Compositor</key>
    	[B]<dict>
    		<key>deferredUpdates</key>
    		<integer>1</integer>[/B]
    	</dict>
    	[...]

4. officeham macrumors newbie

i have the same (but slightly diferent) problem

hey momomo have the same problem and i tried your solution but when i opened the plist file instead of this

<plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>Compositor</key>
    <dict/>
    [...]

i had this

<plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>DisplaySet</key>
    <array>
    [...]

so i don't know what to change, do you know why mine is different or do you have any suggestions? i'd really appreciate your help.