Horrible latency surfing the web via computer shared Wi-Fi.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jade Cambell, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

My mac has a wi-fi card in it, so via System Preferences/Sharing I can enable internet sharing with computers that use Wi-Fi. I can then surf the internet on my iPhone, but there are horrible latency issues.

The speed comes across okay (2mb to 3mb) but it takes pages up to a whole minute to load because it sits at the beginning stage of loading forever.

I've inputed my iPhones Wi-Fi address into the appropriate spot in my routers settings, and there are still latency issues when running on this Wi-Fi.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's probably interference with the router, hard to say.

Is the mac having wireless issues too? Or just the iPhone.

3. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

The mac isn't connected to the internet wirelessly. It is connected to the modem through a router though, because there are other computers on the network.

What the mac is doing is simply "sharing" it's internet connection with the iphone, via the airport card inside it.

4. chinarut macrumors member

I am having similar issues - connecting my directly to our DSL modem via a patch cable results in a latency of 30-35ms regardless of whether it's my macbook of my dad's iMac.

connecting the modem & setting up "Sharing Internet" on the iMac and accessing the Internet on my macbook over WiFi results in a a latency on the order of 70-75ms which is unacceptable - some times simple pages don't finish loading on Safari!

The only hint I found online is to enable local DNS - anyone have explicit instructions for doing this on 10.5?