Horrible LTE speeds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajm222, Oct 1, 2014.

1. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Tested my new 6 in several places today in the Richmond, VA area and the speeds are between 1 and 7 mbps for download, and around 2 or 3 for upload. Signal strength is strong. Shouldn't it be closer to 25 or 30? What can cause this?

2. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

What carrier are you on?

In my area I've seen Verizon the fastest (had one test hit 77 down)
    T-Moble the 2nd fastest (averaged between 20 - 30)
    AT&T (usually between 8-10)

-- Don't know about Sprint, I left them before they deployed LTE and will never go back.

Network congestion plays a part in LTE speed, so if a lot of users are connected in the same area, you'll get slower speeds. Also, the LTE bands used and location matter as well (indoor vs outdoor, etc.) and for some carriers this varies from cell site to cell site.

3. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Verizon. I'm in an office park right now. Might be congestion. Will have to test out on the road over lunch and see. Bad speeds at my house might have been related to poor signal. Thanks.

4. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Lehigh Valley area of PA here on ATT. Prior to iPhone 6, used to average 25-30 down and 5 or so up. Since iPhone 6, averaging 10 down and 2-3 up. WTF is up with that? Not that it's still not more than fast enough, but the change is pretty drastic numbers wise.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Definitely a network issue, related either to congestion, signal strength or inadequate backhaul. I tested this morning on T-Mobile on my iPhone 6 Plus:

[​IMG]

6. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Don't forget Verizon throttling starts today.

7. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

that was my first thought but presumably if you are under contract (which i am), they shouldn't be throttling. but i wouldn't be surprised if they did it anyway. the slow speeds at home were from yesterday. will follow up once i leave the office for lunch in a bit.

8. Sixcranker macrumors member

Sixcranker

Wow, that is horrible!! Mine has consistently been around 40-50 download, 15-25 uploads. Btw, I am on AT&T.

speedtest.PNG

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

Your speed will depend a dozen different factors including weather

10. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so i tested my connection in several places around town over lunch. it definitely improved in spots. download speeds got up to 34. upload maxed at just over 13. but it was all over the place. in some spots it was down to just 1 or 2.

11. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

Im also on Verizon in RVA and have too noticed the slow speeds. I used to get 30-40 down and 20 up all the time but in the past couple of months I haven't gotten anything above 15 and the stability of the connection is horrible with constant drops in connections. I live less than a half mile from the tower and still slow.

12. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

that's good to know. I've noticed the same. Pretty sure I used to consistently get those higher speeds, but not anymore. I wonder if there's a good way to register a complaint (not that it would do any good).

13. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I'm in the same situation. I have really slow speeds 1-3 dl and 1-2 up. I'm on the unlimited data plan in a contact. I'm wondering if all unlimited data users are experiencing slowness? Verizon's double promo offer is tempting. I wish we knew if we can keep it forever and if we can change data plans in the future and keep the discount? Go from 60 gb to 40gb and get it at the 40gb promo.

14. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Definitely depends on location. I'm TMobile and my work office is on a main highway in the middle of downtown, and I get super -SUPER- fast speeds here (70mb down, around 30 up). At home I get like 4mb down less than 1 up.

15. H2K03 macrumors member

16. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Depends...

Depends on the network,
    Depends on the handset you are using,
    Depends on the time of day (congestion from multiple users),
    Depends on how far along the carrier's LTE rollout is as well.

17. pish6969 macrumors regular

I beg to differ
    [​IMG]

...the voice of reason

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

If your phone connects to the wrong server for your area, those speed tests come out horrible. There's really nothing wrong with it, and it's probably performing fine.

19. dmx macrumors 6502a

I'm having very bad LTE speeds on Sprint as well (Yes, Sprint is bad, but my testing is in an area with great speeds, within eyesight of the tower). My 5 was fantastic - 20 Mbps down, 6-8 Mbps upload average easily.

My 6+? Even when connected to the same tower at the same time, I'm lucky to get half the download speeds. The HIGHEST upload speeds I have seen is 1.5 Mbps, but it is almost always very close to 1 Mbps.

Sprint chat support told me that it was a known issue - that both Sprint and Apple were aware of - and a fix, from Apple, would come soon.

Another Sprint rep recommended I return the phone. But they've made it absolutely clear its not an issue with my SIM or account. I can swap my SIM into my iPhone 5 and get my normal LTE speeds again immediately.

I really am unsure of what to do.

By the way, I'm in the San Diego area, and know firsthand of other people with the same exact issues with their iPhone 6's.