Horrible LTE speeds

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Tested my new 6 in several places today in the Richmond, VA area and the speeds are between 1 and 7 mbps for download, and around 2 or 3 for upload. Signal strength is strong. Shouldn't it be closer to 25 or 30? What can cause this?

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Tested my new 6 in several places today in the Richmond, VA area and the speeds are between 1 and 7 mbps for download, and around 2 or 3 for upload. Signal strength is strong. Shouldn't it be closer to 25 or 30? What can cause this?
What carrier are you on?

In my area I've seen Verizon the fastest (had one test hit 77 down)
T-Moble the 2nd fastest (averaged between 20 - 30)
AT&T (usually between 8-10)

-- Don't know about Sprint, I left them before they deployed LTE and will never go back.

Network congestion plays a part in LTE speed, so if a lot of users are connected in the same area, you'll get slower speeds. Also, the LTE bands used and location matter as well (indoor vs outdoor, etc.) and for some carriers this varies from cell site to cell site.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Verizon. I'm in an office park right now. Might be congestion. Will have to test out on the road over lunch and see. Bad speeds at my house might have been related to poor signal. Thanks.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Lehigh Valley area of PA here on ATT. Prior to iPhone 6, used to average 25-30 down and 5 or so up. Since iPhone 6, averaging 10 down and 2-3 up. WTF is up with that? Not that it's still not more than fast enough, but the change is pretty drastic numbers wise.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Definitely a network issue, related either to congestion, signal strength or inadequate backhaul. I tested this morning on T-Mobile on my iPhone 6 Plus:

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Don't forget Verizon throttling starts today.
that was my first thought but presumably if you are under contract (which i am), they shouldn't be throttling. but i wouldn't be surprised if they did it anyway. the slow speeds at home were from yesterday. will follow up once i leave the office for lunch in a bit.

Sixcranker

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Wow, that is horrible!! Mine has consistently been around 40-50 download, 15-25 uploads. Btw, I am on AT&T.

speedtest.PNG

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
so i tested my connection in several places around town over lunch. it definitely improved in spots. download speeds got up to 34. upload maxed at just over 13. but it was all over the place. in some spots it was down to just 1 or 2.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Im also on Verizon in RVA and have too noticed the slow speeds. I used to get 30-40 down and 20 up all the time but in the past couple of months I haven't gotten anything above 15 and the stability of the connection is horrible with constant drops in connections. I live less than a half mile from the tower and still slow.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Im also on Verizon in RVA and have too noticed the slow speeds. I used to get 30-40 down and 20 up all the time but in the past couple of months I haven't gotten anything above 15 and the stability of the connection is horrible with constant drops in connections. I live less than a half mile from the tower and still slow.
that's good to know. I've noticed the same. Pretty sure I used to consistently get those higher speeds, but not anymore. I wonder if there's a good way to register a complaint (not that it would do any good).

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I'm in the same situation. I have really slow speeds 1-3 dl and 1-2 up. I'm on the unlimited data plan in a contact. I'm wondering if all unlimited data users are experiencing slowness? Verizon's double promo offer is tempting. I wish we knew if we can keep it forever and if we can change data plans in the future and keep the discount? Go from 60 gb to 40gb and get it at the 40gb promo.

joshkhaos1

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2014
Definitely depends on location. I'm TMobile and my work office is on a main highway in the middle of downtown, and I get super -SUPER- fast speeds here (70mb down, around 30 up). At home I get like 4mb down less than 1 up.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If your phone connects to the wrong server for your area, those speed tests come out horrible. There's really nothing wrong with it, and it's probably performing fine.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I'm having very bad LTE speeds on Sprint as well (Yes, Sprint is bad, but my testing is in an area with great speeds, within eyesight of the tower). My 5 was fantastic - 20 Mbps down, 6-8 Mbps upload average easily.

My 6+? Even when connected to the same tower at the same time, I'm lucky to get half the download speeds. The HIGHEST upload speeds I have seen is 1.5 Mbps, but it is almost always very close to 1 Mbps.

Sprint chat support told me that it was a known issue - that both Sprint and Apple were aware of - and a fix, from Apple, would come soon.

Another Sprint rep recommended I return the phone. But they've made it absolutely clear its not an issue with my SIM or account. I can swap my SIM into my iPhone 5 and get my normal LTE speeds again immediately.

I really am unsure of what to do.

By the way, I'm in the San Diego area, and know firsthand of other people with the same exact issues with their iPhone 6's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.